1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1/2 Life size bear

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Bones88, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Bones88

Bones88 Duthill Tanners

I am doing my 1st 1/2 lifesize bear and the guy that brought it to me thought it was best to cut a dorsal incision in the back of the neck to get the rest of his meat out. He turned the arms inside out as far as he can but of course I still need to get the inside paws out. I am used to doing the full ventral incision for the last bear rug I did but now I am not sure how I should get the inside of the paws out.

Should I just make an incision around the pad and try to get it from there???

Will this cause a problem with the arms when I go to pull it on??

I want to do it right but not sure what that is.

Please give me some suggestions on the best way to do this.

The picture below is kinda what the guy is looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Bones

Attached Files:

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's the best way but I can tell you how I do it. On the back side of the leg I cut from the elbow to about 1/2" away from the pad and then around the pad staying 1/2" or so away from it. I do this because the pad is soft and the stitches tend to pull through it. Allot of people will just cut through the pad and rebuild it also. Place your cuts in the least conspicuous spots for your pose. In the pose you show here on the right arm I would cut along the bottom of the arm and on the left arm I would cut on the back side of the arm.
    Hope this helps
    Ralph

3. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

I like a dorsal for 1/2s and fulls. Do what rbear said!

4. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I dorsal cut almost all life size mounts. If I know what the pose is going to be I then put the leg seams where they won't be visible.
    Ralph