1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Prices...from one extreme to the other

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by yelper, Oct 24, 2010.

1. yelper

yelper Do or Do Not.... There is no try

GA
    Why is it that taxidermy is the only business (I know of) that prices are so eratic? I mean you can find prices from one extreme to the other. I just found out some prices of another taxi in the general area. He is $175.00 LESS than I am on deer & that includes a panel & some small game anywhere from $200-$400 less. There are others around here that are in line with the pricing I have. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong but I just don't understand why someone would want to be in business & not make money. The supplies cost us all generally the same. I know it comes down to quality & its hard to find a quality anything for a low low price but in this economy its hard to compete with that kind of price difference when it seems..no, it is, mainly about price. I'm not concerned with the other guy(s) but in the end it hurts everyone especially the low priced taxi because he will inevitably get overwhelmed & it keeps people from knowing what a good product should look like & cost. Just wanted to vent.

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

People that undercut the market to get work are just spinning their wheels, cuz in the end they are working twice as hard for less money Not good business sense if you ask me..

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

Rae is right on. I have several around me charging up to 200 less, and they actually do get some work in. Over the years though, I have picked up alot of these clients who went the cheap route at one time or another. They can continue to work for peanuts.

4. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

They will keep the cheap ones out of your shop......

5. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

The truth of the matter is that Taxidermist as a whole are some of the worse business people that have ever existed.

6. nelentaxidermy

nelentaxidermy Member

PA
    *2 .

But these issues dont exsist only in taxidermy.
    I watch my father and the residential construction business. Building codes, insurenaces, cost of gas and other overhead items shouls all be a wash.
    The only difference in cost between 2 construction companies should be labor costs but we find clients get bids all over the place. How???

Why in our business and other do customers often go with the low ball cost or want you to meet the low ball cost.

Our clients are not all driving the cheapest truck you can find, they arent shooting the cheapest guns, but they want you to do or match the price of the cheapest mount

8. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Because of No standards and a lack of business 101 knowledge just as Joe Kish told us in the 1970s . Also don't forget what George always says, "taxidermists are dumb as a box of hammers".

9. I actually raised my prices and have already taken in more business than all years past. I was told in a very blunt tone that I needed to get with the program or folks would think I was a hack. I guess it is true!