1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

? about fleshers

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Wild Bills taxidermy, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Wild Bills taxidermy

Wild Bills taxidermy New Member

Serious about tanning @ just starting. Will Dakota IV be ample for deer hides or should i go ahead and get bigger flesher ? Any experanced info available/Thanks

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you intend to stay in it for the long haul, don't waste your money on toy fleshers.

3. Wild Bills taxidermy

Wild Bills taxidermy New Member

Thats what i needed to hear. Thanks George

4. dlong

dlong New Member

But Dakota V is okay correct George?

5. I would go with the used dakota pro the the fella offered up for 800

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Any of them are "OK" if that's a comfort zone to you. I can't badmouth the choice of the miniflesher if that's all you can afford and don't know if you'll stick with the industry. Having said that, I spent a lifetime as a professional (military) mechanic. My work tools were the best out there so when I came home, I made sure I bought the best I could get as well. I did that with guns. When I couldn't afford a great one, I never bought a cheap one to carry over until I could. I just waited. The less expensive flesher/shavers are simply cheap. If you're going to be in this for the long haul, buy the best and you'll find that you'll perfect it much quicker than you will the cheap models. I can shave chipmunks with the one I have now. I owned one of the original Dakota's and you had to be extremely careful with bison and hogs as it would rip and cut a hide quickly with the least little mistake. You get what you pay for. Sorry.

7. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

I bought the dakota 5 for my first flesher. It works great and I have been shaving like crazy getting some good practice with it. It would definitely last you a while and be able to do the job. But i guess if you gotthe money get the pro, but otherwise the V works great too