1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Defrosting Lifesize Whitetail Hides

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by donanton, Oct 27, 2010.

1. donanton

donanton I don't have a motto. Thats my motto.

I have a lfesize deer sin I got from a dfriend but I want to know what technique should beused to defrost it as its been in the chest freezer for a week and its frozen soid. Should I leave it in the fridge overnight with the fridge turned down to slow the melt as I am going to have to leave it over night as its barely thawed after 2 hrs out of the freezer.

Thanks!

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Just remove it from the freezer one day and let it thaw out at room temp. Next day when its thawed out enough work on it, its just that easy!

3. donanton

and quickly douse in stop rot?

4. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    apply the stop rot as you skin and flesh the hide.I apply it with a cheap paint brush.

5. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I toss it on the table at night, in morning should be ready to work or soon after dependng on how cold it is in your shop..
    I use the stop rot in a spray bottle -- very handy, less use and good coverage,

6. donanton

great thanks

7. Jeff Z

Jeff Z New Member

Here
    I place the item to thaw in a sink so that any fluids drain away & dont stay in contact furthering the chance of hair slippage. Stop Rot is not needed unless you have a problem w/the skin.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

You can simply lay it out on a table and thaw it out. As it thaws, you can start working on it, or roll the thawed spots up and cover with towels for insulation. I personally don't like working on something until it is completely thawed and ready to roll.