1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

REVIEW: Rick Krane's Angler's Artistry Fish Painting DVD

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by UFD, Oct 27, 2010.

1. UFD

UFD New Member

I had the opportunity to watch a couple of Rick Krane’s new Angler’s Artistry instructional dvd’s, and I must say, I’m impressed! Even considering my thirty plus years painting fish (and in some manner being fairly set in my ways of painting), it was nice to view something that left me with quite a few “ah-ha” moments...

Overall the instruction is complete, concise, and very well organized; but at the same time the dvd is enjoyable to watch. If you have never painted a fish before or have painted hundreds, there is information in these productions to make them worth far more than the mere cost of purchasing them. And whether you watch them once or get the real effective value by being able to consult them repeatedly as needed, your work will surely improve as you tap into the insight and experience of Rick’s vast vault of fish and fish taxidermy knowledge.

I have always been reluctant to watch or purchase any fish painting video because the effect is really no more different than a written paint schedule: One learns how to paint an overly basic paint scheme with little options for variability among fish. However, what Rick has done in his dvd’s is give not only a system of recreating coloration on a fish by a variety of means, but he also (and arguably more important) has given the mental processes that will lead one to be flexible in their fish painting. In conjunction with this is the valuable reference section of the dvd’s where he shows you the key features of a certain species of fish and also gives you the reasons why and what to look for that could be different on each fish of the same species. This will surely lead you to “see” features in a color scheme of a fish you have never painted or are familiar with, and then using the system you have learned from Rick, you will have the competence to be able to paint a fish without a paint schedule or instruction. These are powerful tools to have and indispensable for your fish painting success and enjoyment!

2. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Well said!

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I could not agree more Dave.

4. wtco

wtco New Member

Although I have not yet purchased any DVDs I did take one of Rick's 10 day workshops. I did have experience in fish taxidermy but had not been active in quite a while so I went to Rick to get up to speed. I just finished painting a Brown Trout and when I finished it I thought my god am I glad I spent my time and money with Rick Krane. The experience of creating fish art with such realism with his techniques is amazing. Every time I carve a body or paint fish I have a smile on may face I know how it will turn out every time because he teaches systems that work! With these tools you will produce better products and become more profitable. I say more profitable because you will have a superior product and it will be done more efficiently. If a workshop is not in order for you at this moment and if these DVDs are in workshop format its a no brainer get them. Rick is such a great guy and any thing he puts out is 110% quality there should be no fear in any thing he produces.

5. sherri gray

sherri gray Office Manager

Yeah the Boss is pretty cool and Rick is pretty good too! LOL! Kidding Rick! We here at Anglers Artistry are hearing this every day, but UFD you put it so well I want to watch a DVD now!
    Hi Brad Hi Scott H Hi Scott T!!!

See Ya Later,
    Sherri

6. agagne41

agagne41 New Member

I'd also like to add that the repro DVD's are very helpful for fishcarvers. I have now completed two carvings using the Small mouth and Large Mouth Bass DVD's. The Rick Krane system allows you to be flexible based on the reference you are using. I would recommend these to anyone interested in improving there painting skills. Al

7. When is the black crappie repro DVD coming out? I've been waiting to place my order until it's available. It's tough to wait when I keep reading all these positive reviews... :-\

8. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Hello Sherri, hope all is good for you.

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Which ones are available so far? Are they through WASCO or a different company?

10. agagne41

agagne41 New Member

I just got off the phone with Sherri and she said they just received the black crappie DVD's. She was going to ship mine today. Get your orders in.

11. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

A most gracious and humble thank you to my old friend Dave UFD Campbell! I read this and I wanted to watch one of the DVD’s! Thank you so much for your honest and constructive critique! I have made the commitment to be the best teacher I can be and work very hard at reaching all taxidermists regardless of skill level or time one may have in the business. The goals is to give value and a format that lows you to continue to go back over an over again and find new information I packed in to this new DVD series.

Thanks all who have purchased the DVD thus far and I hope you have enjoyed them I want to thank all the folks who call here personally and who have written to us here on the T-Net and at the shop. I will continue to raise the bar and promote the betterment of the art of taxidermy in any way I can so we al can have fun and enjoy what we all love to do!

My Very Best!

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry
    312 CHESTERFIELD ROAD
    Hinsdale NH 03451
    603-336-7296
    [email protected]
    www.anglersartistry.com

12. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the last of the two DVD’s you sent. Wow, very inspiring! Well done bro, with excellent explanations of your easy to follow “painting system” and all of the different mediums and their applications.

Rick Krane’s latest DVD’s are fun to watch while getting you immersed in reference pictures, a wide variety of shading and painting mediums and their applications. Yet all prepared in such a way that is easy to understand and follow at home!

I really appreciate the picture reference sections, showing how to use them to our advantage, as students of nature-

Excellent DVD’s for anyone,

Jeff

13. boarhunter67

Where can I get them? Also, I already have a couple of his so how can I tell the new ones from the old ones so I don't order ones I already have?

14. Harum

Harum Active Member

I also had the pleasure of viewing two of Rick's recent DVD's. Although Dave and I discussed much of what he posted above and I agree with his evaluation, I would like to add a few personal points of view.
    Rick's DVD's have a polished professional flow yet have a relaxed personal feel to them. It is obvious he has a vast knowledge of fish and fish taxidermy but what I found refreshing was his ability to pass this onto the viewer. The old adage, "Give a man a fish; and you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a life time." really fits how I see these DVD's. If you want to go beyond the cookie cutter approach of the paint schedule and understand what you are trying to duplicate, give Rick's DVD's a try.

Awesome product Rick!

-Pete

15. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

I do a bit of writing and I'm left wordless to express my gratitude and humble thankfulness for the encouragement and the delight in being able to read that the hard work I have put into being a teacher is a vision that has come true for me personally and professionally. From a beginner to the worlds best we all still learn every day if that is what our minds, heart and eyes will let the soul journey into that place that still finds the child in us that is amazed by learning! We are never afforded perfection in our lives that is saved for another time however we make the best efforts we can and that is a processes of learning! As I have said my goal was to provide folks the opportunity to learn as if they were here and to read that I have come just that close to doing that I'm very pleased! The next series will be a bigger effort as I see where to change a few things and have pushed the envelope for some new Ideas. I will be filming again soon in to the next year and will be sure to share new and innovative ways to make what we all love to do a bit more fun and simpler while all the time striving for realism! No one is born with the same abilities or talents but I read once in a book about effort being a tool of greatness as it pertains to the ideology that a person who perfects the art of perfect practice needs not to be born with talent just the ethical practice of working hard at practice. It also reads that both can and will yield the same results at that end of the effort! Watch the DVDs over and over and find the little things I put in there for you!! Practice and continue to learn while your fish work gets to be less of an effort and more of a pleasure!

God Bless!

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry
    312 Chesterfield Road
    Hinsdale NH 03451
    603-336-7296
    [email protected]
    www.anglersartistry.com

16. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    I gotta say that these are a great tool even for the old guys like me. I have been in the full time ( only source of income) taxidermy business for over 39 yrs and have always done fish. That being said, I enjoy them more and my customers really notice the extra effort. I do have some of the old dvd's and I liked them but these are in another class. These are money well spent and Rick is a first class guy. I look fwd to purchasing every one he comes out with. Jmo if you do fish and don't get these you are just loosing money!!!! Great Job Rick!!!!

17. boarhunter67

Is there a webpage where I can see what ones are out so far or do I just have to call?

18. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    I'd call to be sure but Black Crappie repro just came out and the first batch was largemouth repro, largemouth skin, walleye repro, and smallmouth repro. Like I said I would call first though

19. kenbadger

kenbadger New Member

who is this Rick Krane? amd how can I get one of his DVDs?

20. Who is Rick Krane? Dude where have you been the last ten years!