1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Maaaaaaaybe? Maybe not?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Head Hunting Iowan, Oct 29, 2010.

1. So its annoying to cover up antlers, but we need to do it. I'm going to try to spray some flat sealer on them and see if it makes them submergible and water resistant, instead of the process I use now. It'd be fast, cheap and easy - but we know where that route usually ends up. My main concerns are if it indeeds seals them, holds up to the water and temp, and/or leaves any noticable shine. Should also help a ton with odor. When I get a junk deer I'll try it out, unless someone cares to stop me because they've tried this already and failed.

2. rouckhound

rouckhound New Member

I just ordered some liquid latex (anyone tried this?) going to coat base of antlers prior to degreasing and hopefully it will protect through whitening phase too. any thoughts?

3. Have not tried the flat sealer or the liquid latex. Sea Wolf uses the liquid latex so maybe she will chime in. The liquid latex seems to be a bit on the pricey side.

I have used clear silicone around the burr and up 3 or 4 inches with good results but it has been a real pain to get off of some antlers. On others, not so bad to get off but still does not peel off clean.

I macerate so I apply the silicone when I prep the head and let it cure before putting it in the rot bucket. I was wondering if anyone had tried anything to treat the antlers before applying silicone so it would peal off easily when the time came. Was thinking about applying a light coat of cooking oil or spray them with Pam or something similar to act as a release agent. Just have not got around to trying it yet. Anybody tried anything like this?

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I have never once sealed any antlers. If they loose color it is easier in my book to restain than to worry about loss of color and waste time coating them.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I use the latex. Never tried silicone. I brush on several coats and let it dry. Helps prevent staining, grease soaking into the antler, keeps them from picking up and rot smells and keeps mold and funk from growing on them. I would think a release agent for the silicone would allow liquid to creep up underneath. Maybe not. It would be worth an experiment. The latex does seem a bit pricey but you don't need a heavy coat like making a mold. Just enough to protect them. Never thought of sealer either. Tried slathering them with Vaseline once. In the maceration set up .. that was a disaster.

6. Won't moisture wick up through the bases and cause the sealer to flake/peel ?
    Just a thought Joe.

7. I'd like to see if this works!
    Every other option is a pain

8. I use silicone/trash bag combo right now. It works most of the time. All it takes is one tiny lil hole to let water in and fubar it. I know staining isnt hard, but I like to nitpick my work lol. It might clay, I really have no idea how its gonna turn out, I've got a guy scoping the woods for trash bucks for me - so hopefully I'll find out soon.

9. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Yup liquid latex works great. Sea Wolf introduced it to me, and I have had great results using it.

10. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

What I have found with the latex, is that, as long as your antlers are clean and dry to start with, that it adheres tightly to the surface and does not allow any wicking up underneath. You don't have to coat the whole antler. Only to above the water line to protect it.

11. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

I used to use liquid latex, but found that even with a bunch of coats applied over time, it still allows the antlers, to get wet, whitened, etc. So, I'm now in the same boat as The Dog. Since I had to restain antlers anyway, why not skip the liquid latex step and restain.