1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote with lice

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Fran M, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Fran M

Fran M Member

I took in a coyote yesterday that was infested with lice..not fleas or ticks...lice. It looked like it was sprinkled with saw dust.customer did not see it the night before when he killed it. I called DEC patholgist he said to send him a sample of the lice. Just wanted to know if anybody else has seen this.Thanks Fran

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I have found lots of fleas on fox , coyotes, wolf , the only thing I have found lice on is beavers, if one has it in the house they all have them !

3. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Where are you located? It may be a small outbreak in an isolated population, but if not, it's certainly a scary idea.

4. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

they are host specific, so no threat to you. reason he didn`t see it is they were all at skin level feeding. now with body temperature drop they are up on the fur tips looking for a new host. worst part is the thing will stink bad. once you smell the smell, it alone is diagnosic. and the fur will be greasy as heck, and very thin over the shoulders and neck, and much will slip in tanning. you need to tell the guy it really isn`t suitable to mount at all,as it isn`t. fwiw, I am a graduate dvm specializing in wildlife diseases. the biologist won`t know schit.

Show & Tell likes this.
  5. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

I got one a while back the same way. He look like he had saw dust all over his face, but it was moving. He had fleas and ticks also.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

In a world without humans, human head lice will become extinct within a few days! No joke, this IS true....but nobody will be around to see it!

7. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

forgot to say, if one coyote in the family group has it, they all do. but it is generally isolated to just a group here or there, and not widespread like mange can be, to where they get whiped out by it over large areas.

8. Fran M

Fran M Member

I used flea spray to kill lice.skinned out the head as customer just wants the head mounted.I'm located in central ny. Patholgist said he has seen this before,but will contact me after he gets sample.This is the seconded time I 've seen it in 2 years,coyotes killed 20 miles apart. Been doing taxidermy for 26 years.fleas and ticks are getting worse,I hope lice is not the next problem.

9. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

Sounds like the hunter did the coyote a favor...

10. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

I like to use Sevin dust to get rid of creepy-crawlies

11. John Panter

John Panter New Member

Throw the nasty thing away man. Vermin are full of crap like that.

12. I've seen deer come in with lice as well. Horses and cattle also can be infested with them. Yuck.

13. Add turkey and wood ducks to the list. Around here a lot of beavers have fleas.

14. John you are hanging out with the wrong crowd. Try switching establishments.

15. At least he didn't say CRABS. LMAO!!!

16. webrey

webrey New Member

As coyote in the family group has it, they all do. but it is generally isolated to just a group here or there, and not widespread like mange can be, to where they get whiped out head lice by it over large areas. Around the world and has spilled over into and coyote populations in various locations.

17. strub

strub New Member

I've seen it alot when I worked for a fur buyer back in the 70's. We worked them up just like any coyote & we worked 1000's of them. After skinning, we ran the thru a washer, curry combed out & washed them again. Combed them out again before we sold them.That got rid of them out of fur, and no none of us got lice.

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I had tgo chuckle when I saw this title, thinking..."show me a coyote WITHOUT lice" but thats just my not liking stinking coyotes as specimens some days, lol.

Bob Wendt is spot on with this one, of course. When he said species specific, he meant we as humans do not host this lice. Just like when you carry home a turkey from the field, youll have lice on you courtesy of the dead and cooling off turkey carcass...but they dont stay on you to feed. A shower for you, and into the process for the coyote, and alls well.

BTW, for those of you who keep your dog at your shops...I do NOT...is this making you think?

Also, I saw a couple NY posters here, hope youre planning on supporting your state show in about 10 days...

19. Gina

Gina New Member

Im thoroughly grossed out now.....im gonn a go wash my hai :p

20. instigator

instigator New Member

I got a coyote