1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's everyone working on ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Manny, Oct 29, 2010.

1. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Nice to see what evryones up too, a bit of fun for me, with a 9" Geophagus sp, probably altifrons. Supplied by my local pet shop, the fins were in a terrible state and have had to be rebuilt mostly, as has the tail. I still have a lot of work to do on them yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. den007

den007 Active Member

Same old same old. These are not from my former "mentor" who was so well loved on here. These are my own.

Attached Files:

3. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Nice eyes Denny.........Here's my finished first Brown (still on paint stick though)........

Attached Files:

4. den007

den007 Active Member

Brian......nice brown.....you hit the red spots right. Many times, I make them too red. Rusty red is right on. One thing.....that dorsal looks just a bit rounded for a trout. You could probably square it off a bit. Interested in what others think about this.

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Den, I mentioned the dorsal to him as well.

Im sure someone could pull up a reference of one like that, but more than not, it should be straighter .

6. I have seen many browns with round dorsal, anal and caudal fins.
    If that's what the fish had then he got it spot on.
    On an ideal "classical" fish yea straighter is better, but it all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish.
    An "Ideal" fish or the actual fish that was caught.
    90% of the fish anyone gets are not ever quite classical specimens.

7. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

exactly Josh.

Sweet lookin brown in any case.

8. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

I can honestly say, outside of repairing the webbing, that was the shape of the dorsal. I didnt trim it that way. Thanks for the comments guys........kind of a fun fish to paint too I think...........

9. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Sweet Pink Jimmie, Wonder who thats for? :)

Hoytman

10. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    Red Stags mounted ,drying - starting with 2 salmons next week. Ollie

Attached Files:

11. JE

JE Well-Known Member

You have been busy Ollie !
    looking forward to seeing the salmon.
    John

12. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    Look in your mail box John! Ollie

13. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Thanks Ollie ! ;)
    Here are two 16 1/4" European perch molds, one closed mouth, the other open. I try and get two molds from the one fish before the cooking process renders it useless ! This is my own personal fish so hopefully it will come out nice ! the molds look OK so far, just need a bit of a clean up .
    [​IMG]

14. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    some small fish.

15. so this is x-mas.. dark hours yawn.... bring back spring!

Attached Files:

16. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I thought I would bring this forward. I like looking at what others are working on. Here is a fresh mounted smally, will beready for paint in a week or so.

Attached Files:

17. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Some nice work in progress so far.....this is a great thread to show the labor pains before seeing the baby...lol
    Here's my second pike AND the biggest one in my short tenure: 43 inch PIG....man, there's a lot of work in one of these gators.
    I DID buy a repro head but it just didnt look or fit right so I re-built the original head inside and out. Pretty happy with the way it's coming out and like I told Doug, I'm glad to even be at his point. Skinning that gator took me waaaaaay too long and hell, that was just the starting point....lol. Got a lot more work till its done and have already logged a few hours to get to this point (the form alterations is another story.... ;D).....

Attached Files:

18. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

And the inside of the mouth (gills to be added after paint)

Attached Files:

20. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

You also....and I thought that was a realistic way to look at it.....LOL