1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Kick back to outfitters

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by montana art, Oct 30, 2010.

1. montana art

montana art New Member

N.C.
    how many of you agree or disagree with giving an outfitter a kick back for business sent to you? The captain's of the boats at the Ocean want a kickback for sending business,one even wanted 30% I told him if he would buy the blank then we would do that.

2. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

If I did pay a finders fee it would be included in the cost of the mount.

3. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I have always treated the outfitters and booking companies that recommend in work to my studio good. A free shoulder mount or big discount on a bronze for them or thier kids here and there. A few years ago one of my major competitors introduced 10% kick backs, plus, plus. I have lost some outfitter support from it but I have stayed very busy and still get in lots of work. It has bothered me but I suppose as long as I get in lots of work I shouldn't complain. Good work, honesty, reasonable turnaround, etc. has defeated the some loss of volume. I have even gotten back some outfitters that had left me for a time for the extra cash. If you want or need huge volumes to keep employees employed and a big circle jerk of a bigger business with big cash flow and little profit I guess kick backs is one tool to use. In the long run I cann't see many advanges to it.

4. gab

gab Active Member

slippery slope.the outfitter loses all credibility when he is only reccomending the highest bidder,and not the best taxidermist for that client.I don't want my services crammed down anyones throat.if one little thing goes wrong the client feels that he was misled or coerced.I do small favors and discounts at my discretion for loyal outfitters and clients though,to show my appreciation.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Mike Boyce called them an embarrassment. Nuff said. 8)

6. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

its not worth the hassle Pulaski, and Oswego area guides and lodges were always after kick backs if they took in fish and kept them frozen in one of my freezers I supplied with all the paperwork taken care of they they got x amount per fish. but the ones that wanted money for a referral no way!

7. Let's ask this question: How many outfitters give US a kickback for every client we sent their way? We have to book so many hunts to earn a free hunt from some of them but they want a kickback from us on EVERY mount. I don't freakin' think so. I am with gab on this one. In the longrun the outfitters are going to bite themselves in their greedy rear by sending their customers to taxidermists who may not always provide the best mounting service and for what.........a measly few bucks (that means dollars in this sentence ::)) I much rather have clients who chose us for the quality of work we do not because someone forced them to bring it to us.

8. Yes I used to do them, and it was very profitable. I offered either a 10% cash or the same amount towards taxidermy. It worked great until I ended up with an outfitter owing me $6,000 in taxidermy work. The hunting didn't catch up with his desire for taxidermy work, so I got stuck with it. If I did it again, it would be a straight cash deal.

I also took care of the meat processors. I would take a deer that my family shot to each one of the larger processors. They in turn recommended me. I also tipped the guys in the back either in cash or beer as they were always the first ones that the hunters met when they dropped off their deer. They would always make sure my brochures/business cards were full.

9. montana art

montana art New Member

N.C.
    thanks for the replies, As of right now I have never done this but if the economy keeps up I need more Saltwater mounts and I was thinking about it. But maybe something like ten percent after the customer is paid up in full. I just want to break in to the Saltwater business more than just three or four clients a year.

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

They only "kickback" I give my outfitters is I cut the jawbone loose. and give to him so they can be aged. I don't clean them just cut them loose and rub a little borax on them. Everyone else will pay for this if they want it. Only one of my outfitter clients takes advantage of this because If a client shoots a deer that is under the farm minimum but is past a certain age then he doesn't hit them with penalities. The other outfitter that I get a little business from not much has a size penality no matter what age so he doesn't even ask.

11. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Last I heard, Gray's was paying somewhere around 40-50% to boat captains. They basically have the charter captains locked up with that kind of commission. You cannot compete with Gray's on price because they do so much volume (I have heard they get their blanks made overseas but I cannot confirm).

If I were going to try and get in on this market, I would contact the smaller/newer captains and try to basically work out a deal where you recommend them to your customers and they recommend you to theirs. I have done this with a couple waterfowl guides. It is not a big payoff in new business, but I get a couple clients from them and they get a couple from me each year.

12. montana art

montana art New Member

N.C.
    yeh with the size of kickback the captian's told me I figured it hAD TO BE SOMEONE BIG LIKE THAT.

13. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

Amen Gary and Evelyn! I take care of my outfitters but I don't "pay" them outright for every mount. It's very common here and a hard cycle to break. Once hunters who know better find out that the outfitter is not sending them to the best taxi and is getting paid to boot, like Gary said, credibility is lost. My best outfitters steer people towards me but still tell them to look and choose themselves.

14. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

Yes, Grays pays a 50% commission to the charter captains...then they over-inflate the shipping and HANDLING, and make it back..