1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I was out priced on a bear!!!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by tt, Oct 31, 2010.

1. tt

tt Licensed Taxidermist,Hunter,Trapper,and Fur Bearer

first to start out. I started a very small, on the side taxidermy shop. I have completed several mounts from shoulder to lifesize and friends and other costumers love the end product. I take my time and probably over do it just so I make sure I put out the best I can and not be the next "hack" in the taxidermy field.
    Now I had my brother call last night and he had a friend that shot a small black bear around 150 lbs. that wanted a full body mount done. He asked me for a quote and said to give this guy a good price because he is a very big hunter and is the president of a very well off hunting club. I figured up some numbers and told him for a free standing bear $1100 and if he wanted a base I would only charge him a extra $100. Know I thought this was a good price, a very good price! between sending the hide out and material. He then tells me the guy had called around and he found a guy that would do a lifesize for $850 and 3/4 for $650. I told him if that was the case then good luck I could not go that low. How in the world can anyone do it for that or am I way off in my price? I thought I was low and gave him a good VERY good price. Was I wrong?

2. InuRyoko

InuRyoko Member

Now I have no knowledge about the pricing on bears However....
    Some people just don't get the whole. You get what you pay for deal.

Oh well.

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Your better off. Let the other guy have the cheap bastard. :D

4. I'd also tell my brother that if he wants to cut someone a deal then he can pay the difference.

5. RDA

RDA Active Member

1100.00 for a ls bear R U KIDDING?????

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

X2. I wasn't gonna be the first to say something though :D
    If it was a cub, I could understand that price.

7. Mason

Mason Active Member

Hey Ron,

We just gave a return customer a price like that ! $1000 including base and habitat! Was an 85 pound bear.
    He was to show up the next morning. HE DIDN"T EVEN RETURN OUR CALL!
    Heard through the grape vine, he was pi$$ed about the high price! ???
    Aint sure what you are spose to do tt. Seems like most folks want you to give it away!

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

tt, you know for $250 you ARE that other guy. Like RDA said, I'm not even bothering with thinking about a price that low. A CUB in my shop starts at TWICE the price you gave. I like Chris's response as well. I had prayer a few times with family members who were wanting to play with MY MONEY. I learned long ago that when there's a deal made in my shop, it's ME who makes it with a client I feel deserving of it.

9. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

In my opinion, Yes you were wrong. Number one you were wrong for offering him a deal. Who cares if he was your brothers friend, your taxidermy business is not your brothers to dictate who gets a deal and who doesn't, unless you and your brother have that agreement. this guy is not your friend. I will admit i give my best friends a better deal but not that good of a deal. Deals do not pay your light bill or put shoes on your kids feet. Just my opinion though.

10. Here's how I see the situation with deals to friends or family or even the guy that owns his own ranch. If you give them a deal that is just like telling all your other clients that you CAN do it for LESS. My friends and family pay the same as everyone else. My prices are as low as I'm willing to go and everyone is getting a fair deal, including me.

11. tt

tt Licensed Taxidermist,Hunter,Trapper,and Fur Bearer

Thanks guys for the responce.

George, I agree with what it looks like but I definitely was not trying to be "that other guy", I am very conscious of my roll in this field and I do not want to make a negative impression. my origanal thought was future business and me just trying to get my stuff out there. But like Chris said you are right. Chris and Todd thanks for the responce also I never thought about it that way I guess I would be better in the long run to set a price and that is it. I still have alot to learn :eek:

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

tt, remember I'm talking from experience and not from some position of being better than you. One of the first lessons I learned is one that had I taken advice on, I'd have never done it (just like you and most of the rest of us have done). That old crap about "looking too good to be true" holds a trump card here. I was conned into doing work for a "club" and I'd get all their work, or doing work for a rich guy cause he'd send other rich guys. BULL. They never pan out and I end up holding the end of the brown stick. NEVER , ever, speculate on future business. It never seems to pan out. Tell your "friends" that your prices are set so that you can make your time worthwhile and remind them that those who aren't "friends" go to the other guy anyway.

13. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Right again George. Never PAY the client in advance for work he promises to send you; at least let them send you all that business first, then if you think it is worth it, pay them. That is what a discounted price is, it is nothing more than payment to the client for him to allow you to mount his specimen. Also, a small bear is going to take extra time adjusting the manikan, so it would be wise to charge EXTRA!

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

tt, read 7 post's down from the top on this link.....I found your culprit :)

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,237879.15.html

15. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

WOW, $1100 for a free standing 150lbs Life Size Black Bear? Thats way to cheap! I start at roughly $1925 for a 150lbs Black Bear.

16. alexm

alexm New Member

Good thing you have another Job wait till some one else will do your work for half price :D

17. I do very few bears, but the customers that I have done them for have reported to me that they have paid in the $2000 range for 1/2 life size mounts.

18. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

He is the president of a game ranch and has lots of other rich hunters (who I'm guessing already have taxidermists) yada,yada,yada. This crap normally doesn't hold water, and you'll hear the same old story year in and year out. Stick to the bird in hand theory.,you'll be glad you did.

19. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I've been in this business in some way or another for 60 years and I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been "out priced" on taxidermy work by part-timers, or someone opening a shop and wanting to attract a customer base. I set my prices by my own formula and it reflects what I need or want to make on a particular job....and I don't vary from those prices. If you want me to mount your trophy then you pay my price...simple! On the other hand I can't begin to tell you how many low balling taxidermists have gone out of business since I started....yet here I am. That cutting prices to attract more business will come back and bite you right under the SCROTUM when that good customer finds out what you did. Run your business the way you want, in this shop that job would cost $3500 (plain base included). Good luck for the future....you're gonna need it. JL

20. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

tt....seems you are under cutting the pros & have had it done to you. How does that taste? Sucks when the shoes on the other foot doesnt it? Im sure the pros in your area will be glad to see you gone & you will be gone.