1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I was out priced on a bear!!!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by tt, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

electricity is the only utility that is ran to my shop that costs money. it's extreamly cheap where I live, If I was 2 miles north and on the city's electric it would be tripple. It doesn't take much to run 1 freezer a few florecent lights and the occasional power tool once or twice a week I will kick on the window ac when I'm in there in the summer and in the winter I will turn on a little space heater when I'm in there.

Water is on well no sewer charge I'm on septic, taxes did not increase when I built my shop because I put it inside an existing building that was on the property so like I said our utilities went up avg $30 a month once I built my shop and insurance is cheap because I don't need crazy ammounts just enough to cover what is in there. If I got in some crazy expensive exotic piece I would bump the coverage, but there is no sense paying for that kind of coverage yr round when it's not needed.

2. Cost of building shop?
    Hospitalization?
    Telephone?
    Internet?
    Licenses / Memberships?
    Vehicle Expenses?
    Advertising?
    Retirement/IRA?
    Office Supplies?
    Cleaning Supplies?
    Equipment?
    Accounting Expenses?
    Research/Reference Materials?

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Some of these are questionable.

4. It may be something you already have, but If you are useing it for your business, then the business should be covering a portion of it. Either way, I find it hard to believe that it only costs him $480 a year to run his business.

5. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

His situation is probably like mine. I had no added expense when I opened my shop. After setting it up that is. The sq. footage of my shop is 15% of the total sq. Ft. of my property. And utilities . So that is what the Business pays. My property taxes are $362 a year. So my overhead is very low.

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

you got me on the license and membership and the extra 12 bucks worth of bleach a yr so my over head is roughly 18.90 not including direct costs into the mount.

7. Whatever works for you I guess. Sorry I doubted that you could run a legitimate business for anywhere close to $500 a year.

8. Under priced or undercut is the correct term.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Kevin, you call me arrogant for pointing out to a fellow who had just been undercut by a couple of hundred dollars that you had just BRAGGED about doing the same thing........??? ??? ???

You sit here and call people names, bring their wives into it and then bitch that this site could be better if people did not call names and had more class.

Sounds to me the main complaint you have is with the man you see in the mirror.

You are nothing more than a low self esteemed hypocrite.

Seriously, go into your profile, read your post's where you tell people here how how they "should act" and then read your own words of criticism directed at others and how you address them. You are totally senile.

10. hold still Michael so I can give you your reach a round

11. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

LMAO!

12. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I was going to stay out of it, but I have to say one thing. If someone knows a thousand times more than you do about something (taxidermy) and have years more experience than you, you should shut up and listen. Their advice isn't holier-than-thou because their not trying to come across as knowing more than you--they actually do know more than you! It would be like one of my students at school telling me I'm trying to be a know-it-all for correcting their essay and telling them how to improve. Get off your own high horse and listen to the people who do it for a living! They know more than you or I ever will! 'nuff said.

13. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Well What I'm telling him and everybody else is you don't know my area. And I have been in several different businesses in many different parts of the country and it is not one thing fits all. Why do you think there is know Lexus or BMW dealers anywhere near here. And car dealers and grocery stores run sales all the time. To draw people in.

14. orion

orion Marty Silva

Therein lies the problem. It is what you think of the work that you do. Stores run sales to bring people in to buy the same damn thing that they can get at other stores. If your mounts are cookie cutter mounts then so be it but those that think their stuff has some artistic merit have no need to drop prices to "get people in." How many art dealers do you running blue-light specials. I don't care where you are there are people with money to spend.

15. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

to be clear I'm not taking sides here I just like to stir chit for my own ammusement lol but lets take a deeper look at your logic. If you are producing top quality one of a kind mounts why do you care what the guy putting out cookie cutter mounts charges? Art enthuisests don't buy prints from walmart right? Does that mean there is not a profitable market for prints as apposed to one of a kind originals? And area does come into play somewhat. Some guys think they are competing with the hack down the street, in some areas the " hacks" are competing with $12 walmart antler plaques.

16. orion

orion Marty Silva

First a disclaimer, I just got all my wisdom teeth removed so I am a bit drugged up.

Harley, that is kind of what my point has been all along. I don;t nexeccarily want the guy that shops at WalMart I prefer those that that shop at neiman Marcus. Years a go I was at an art show with my mother. She had a booth set up selling saws that she hadpainted with wildlife scenes on them. She does a beautful job on them and had them all priced at under $100 because she didn't beleive anyone in our area could afford them. We went the first day with tons of interest but nobody pauing for one. The next day when she was gone to lunch I raqised the prices to $375-$575 and in the next 2 says she sold every one. There are certain items that I think peolple WANT to spend more on. If you think your $300 deer is worth ony $300 why should Ipotrntial client) think it is worth more?

17. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

No Little Mikey Boy. I tell arrogant jerks like you . To be a civil human beings. And see that you are not all seeing and all knowing GODS. That maybe their is more then one way to do business. And just because it is not your way. Does not make it wrong.

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

See Kevin, as I said before, you are senile. You are always telling people here to "have class when speaking to others" You preach to be "civil" to others. Sit down Kevin......let us take a look in the mirror at preacher boy

See Kevin, you are just like me.........you are an a$$hole too! Suck it up buddy and join the club ;) :D

19. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

OK, Kevin, you say MP is arrogant. If bending over backwards to help people (Be it sharing knowledge, money, time, his kidney, the shirt off his back) makes a person arrogant, then YUP, he's arrogant. I'd like to hear how far you've gone to help someone in need (besides coming on here giving bad information to beginners)
    You say he's not being a "civil human being". I say he just doesn't want people buying into your garbage.
    He's a self admitted A-hole which I wont argue (because I'm just as bad as he is and is probably why we get along).

And you say we're "stroking him". No, we're sticking up for someone who A) knows what he's talking about, and B) is 100% correct.
    You on the other hand have nobody sticking up for you. Maybe the reason is because we don't agree with your way of thinking.
    Just admit your wrong and move on. Hell, I'm as stubborn as they come and even I know when to shut up.

20. I don;t nexeccarily want the guy that shops at WalMart I prefer those that that shop at neiman Marcus.

That is the dumbest statement made by average joe taxidermist.!! Why, 99% of the Nieman Marcus crowd do not hunt,then they dont spend money with average Joe Taxidermist.

How many people in your area shop at Neiman Marcus? Almost none in my area if it were not for Wal Mart shoppers there would be zero customers in 99% of the shops around the country.

Yes there one that get the Nieman Marcus crowd do exist but they most often dont come on Taxidermy forums. They have a booth at SCI in Reno.