1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

coon tail skinning help ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Traut, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Traut

Traut New Member

i have a large coon i am going to try my first life size mount in. i have tube skun a few coon before and for lack of knowing how to do it differently i have always just split the tail down the underside and skun it out that way to flesh it and tan it. when hanging on the wall you cant even tell the tail has been split. My question is how do you guys get the tail bone out of these greasy little monsters, and then proseed to flesh out that tiny little cavity. i would think that with all of that fluffy fur on the tail it wouldn't like to turn inside out real easy. is there a trick any one would like to share with a hobbyist please. or am i better off splitting it and trying to sew it up it after tanned. by the way i have never sent anything out to be tanned, i tan everything my self so i don't need to worry about not getting it skun out correctly for the tannery.

any help would help greatly. thanks
    Traut-

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Split the tail as there is a lot of fat and grease in coon tails and proper degreasing is a must !

3. X2 on slitting it. I will strip the tail out first then use a tall splitting guide just so it is a nice clean cut to sew up later.

Type in "RICKARDS NEW HUNTING TRAP ANIMAL TAIL STRIPPER & GUIDE" on ebay and you can see them sold together.
    You can get them from the taxi supply places to.

Michael

4. Traut

Traut New Member

thanks guys, i was planning on splitting the tail and sowing it back up, but just though an expert on here may have some trick to try instead since i didnt find much in the search. thanks for the advice

Traut-