1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold for bird base

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Jadssh, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Greetings, I need help with creating a mold. I carved a bird base out of foam that I really like. I would like to make a mold out of it so I can cast several of them. That way I don't have to take the time to carve each base out of foam. I plan on casting with the 2 part foam. Can you give me some ideas on the best way to do this. I am a complete rookie and have never cast or molded anything before. Any ides would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. John

2. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

You need to make a mother mold, usually of fiberglass or bondo. It may need to be made in several pieces bolted together to enable you to remove your cast. You might look for a video on making repro. antlers it would be the same process.

3. newbirdman

newbirdman Active Member

Why bother making a mold . Just start with your bottom base board , mix up a small amount of foam and pour it onto the wood board . Let it hardner and then add more foam if needed . This will give it a natural look with the raised areas . Any spot that is too high just sand down to size . Brush on some elmers glue and add your dirt or sand and your finished . Otherwise you would have to do as Bill said , make a fiberglass mold . Rick