1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Vacuum Sealing Birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jwprentice1, Nov 4, 2010.

1. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

I'm headed to Kansas in a week or so for Pheasant hunt. I would like to know what is the best Vacuum Sealing System to use on breasted out birds. What size bags or rolls to use. I have checked at Waly World to see what they have and seems there are several system available. We tried one of the little hand held systems last season and it didn't work very well. A would appreciate any input form you experienced bird guys.

2. Just to clarify, are you talking about skinned breast meat, or skins minus the breast meat for mounting purposes?

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I don't vacuum seal my birds. If the feathers aren't laying right before you do it, they get kinked and bent. I like using the big zip lock bags. Just put them in and get as much air out as you can.

4. troy

troy Member

PA
    I agree with Redwolf. I talked to a guy who does wholesale birds and he doesn't like when people do that. He says exactly what Redwolf said...It kinks and bends the feathers to much. He says just put it in a plastic bag and make sure the feathers are as right as you can keep them.

5. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

I just want to vacuum the breast meat-not the whole bird. I am aware of what the sealing does to bird in feather.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

OH. lol Any questions on a taxidermy site I automatically assume would be about the skins. Sorry.
    I would say you should get the small bags. That way you only have to thaw out as much as your gonna eat. If you get the big bags and fill them, when it comes time to eat them but you only want 2 pounds of meat, but you have to thaw out 5 pounds to get it, you would have to refreeze the rest.

7. bowkill

bowkill New Member

I have a food saver from walmart and love it process all my game with it I get the rolls of bags to make my own size bags. used mine to do several deer bear elk and a lot of small game for at least three years now

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yeah, that's ideal.

9. I also agree with the small bag statement as a suggestion.

10. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Just used a food saver to package my cow elk. Used 100 ft. From the rolls and it worked great. Also takes up little room in the freezer. Only way to go!
    Steve

11. Raspy

Raspy New Member

Keep in mind they are all food savers but there is only ONE Food Saver brand. Food Saver is the one I recommend. I had a black N decker model and it was a piece of junk. Get several differnt bag rolls sizes and make your own bags. As Redwold said only package enough for one meal in each bag or you will be refreezing. I love my food saver. I use it on all my game and fish and even buy bulk meat at the store and split into smaller portions in food saver bags to save some money. Good luck on your hunt... I will be up around Dodge City to hunt in December!

12. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

"food saver" is what I used and it worked great.

13. bowkill

bowkill New Member

X2 on the actuall food saver brand