1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

European mount ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DrewZ, Nov 8, 2010.

1. DrewZ

DrewZ New Member

WY
    I have soaked the elk skull in vol. 20 hydrogen peroxide for 3 days and between the antlers and a few other spots, isn't white can i soak it in laquer thinner then peroxide or will I mess it up? Thanks for any info.

2. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    Did you degrease it? Could be grease spots.

3. DrewZ

DrewZ New Member

WY
    When I "boiled" it, i used Dawn dish soap.
    Should I reboil it and start over?

4. blacktailfever

blacktailfever New Member

you boiled it in soap water? never heard of that. when i do a skull i simmer with baking soda til all the meat and brains are out of it. then soak it in dawn dish soap for 2 weeks at room temp. to degrease it. then soak in 30 by volume hydrogen peroxide for another 2 weeks at room temp. this is just the way i do it and it has worked great for me. for bears i'll go up to a month of degreasing. hope this helps

5. DrewZ

DrewZ New Member

WY
    Yes, I let it simmer about 150-180 degrees with dish soap until it was clean, from what I read that is suppose to degrease the skull.

6. I have used dish soap also seems to work for me. After degreasing I apply 50 volume bleach from a hair dresser. Put in a bag for three days. Take out wash and let dry Turns out great