1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

RARE -- White tipped gray fox

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by cameron2, Nov 8, 2010.

1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yeah, I'm in a city, so things probably do get treated different.
    I didn't think of that :p :D

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

False

False again

3. well thats what the lady at the post office told me, and the people at the ups told me as well. And the ups truck is always at the post office.. Hmmmm

4. http://www.dmnews.com/usps-ups-expand-relationship-for-domestic-air-transportation/article/91771/

looks like they all help eachother out. So it may be diffren't everywhere depending where you live.

5. Really hoping is shows up today Debbie and hopefully is salvageable. If anything, I would hope the tail is salvageable, at least with the tail you can just put it on a new gray fox if the rest of it slips.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I would want to see the tracking #. Then go from there.
    I'm not saying this guy is a crook, but at least I would know for sure.

7. orion

orion Marty Silva

Guys you are all a bit wrong and a bit right on the USPS. I work for the USPS in particular and I run the Business mail entry site of our town. Fedex is paid to fly our express mail and that is a deal that was struck years ago that, at the time, let them put fedex drop boxes outside our offices.

Parcel post and Priority DO NOT ship the same way unless it is relatively close. Priority is a 2-3day air service and Parcel post is a ground service only and yes they do go on conveyors. I don't know how anybody could get the idea that so many parcels could possible get handled only by hand. The only parcels that don't go on a conveyor is express and registered mail. That being said, mail on conveyors is probably easier on the package than by hand.

Ups and some fedex ground, particular in smaller areas is delivered to the usps and they pay us to deliver it. Again it is not really subcontracted but they actually pay postage.

While it is a government agency it is not run off of any tax dollars. It is completely funded through the postage and fees and is required by law to be run as a business and while its hands are tied in certain ways it does make some business deals with other carriers.

I agree that there really isn't a decent tracking available yet but that tracking through fedex and ups can be unreliable as well. I get calls every day from people wanting to know where their package is because the tracking number through ups says we have it when in reality sometimes it shows up three days later. That tracking information is sent to us electronically often days in advance of when the parcel actually gets to us. Clearly it sits on someones dock and we get to look like we are dropping the ball.

There is a new tracking system in the works that is coming that will track your parcel every step of the way but I am not sure when it will come online.

8. nate

nate Active Member

I quess I could be wrong, but I'm just going by what my postmaster told me.

9. orion

orion Marty Silva

Well, let me tell you something about Postmasters. All they really know is how to fill out their reports. They don't know Jack about the mail and how it is run. It is amazing how little they know and I often tell my postmaster that what we get done is not because of them but in spite of them ;D.

10. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

regular grey fox and then justydip the tail in the white hair old lady stuff. voila, replacement fox!

11. orion

orion Marty Silva

Bob, I think you just came up with a way to get a few more bucks for your foxes.

12. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

Well - It's here and sad to say smelly and hair slipping :'( and it was Mailed on Monday - all the dry ice was gone and the package was room temp -- well at least not cold at all -- Not Tracy's fault - The Dam* PO - There is no reason that a Priority Package should take 5 days ! and it really wasn't the white tipped tail that got me - it was just the pretty LOOK of this fox - Just really bites that it is a wasted animal now - that bothers me more than anything - the waste ! :mad: :'(

13. Smeja

Smeja New Member

That's too bad

14. orion

orion Marty Silva

Just a guess but I would bet that the container wasn't marked correctly that in contained dry ice and the weight of the dry ice. Dry ice is considered a hazardous material and if a package is suspicios and not properly marked it would have been sent parcel post instead. A clerk handling the package could notice it had dry ice by the feel of it plus we sometimes we actually see frost on them. If they are not properly marked they cannot fly.

My advice is not to use dry ice people. Frozen gel packs and good insulation seem to work fine for 3 day delivery.

15. bob wendt

I always do the ice packs, $3 each for ther big ones, but seems to work well. sorry for your loss debbie. if the package had delivery confirmation it would show more than just when left and when arrived, like would say left nevada on xxx, hit denver on xxx, hit chicago on xxxx, delived on xxx. that would explain where it has been for 5 days, like if p.o. messed up and thought illinois was hawaii and it went there first and then to ill. even in the july 90 degree heatr we use styrofoam lined flat rate boxes and a big $3 ice pac and can ship safely. and I`ve included delivery confirmation in my cost ,always ,as of several yars ago. protects me mostly, but satifies the customer to as to when and where it is.

16. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

No Del Conf sticker Bob -- so no way to see which round about route they took ::)

17. That stinks, any way to save the tail at least? :(

18. bob wendt

another advantage to delivery confirmation is if delivery is attempted, or arrives at p.o. and a pick up slip is left at the customers, but customer fails to go to the p.o. to pick up in a timely mannor, then that shows also. delivery confirmation I think may even get it there faster as postal employees can see if it doesn`t get there in the required 2 days time, it can be tracked back to the location and person in postal employ that messed up. so I think they give del. conf. packages better service, even tho they will claim not so.

19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I can tell by the conversation no one learned anything from this experience. You are all still talking about things to do differently when using the post office, instead of solving the problem by not using them at all. Orion is the only one that seems to know what's going on. I would only disagree with one thing he says, and that is that Priority is a 2 - 3 day service. That is more of an average, and many many many times packages take longer, sometimes much longer, sometimes 5 days to deliver a rare fox skin. I'll stick with UPS or FedEx, they guarantee a delivery date. I understand chit happens, and a package might get mis-sorted, and when shiping we should take precautions against this, but for the most part they are dead on with their guarantees. I have nothing against the Post Office, I use them all the time to ship items I have sold, or even customer pieces, but I NEVER ship raw skins. That's just begging for trouble.

20. RageofAnath

RageofAnath Will make art for money or dead things.

I hope you can salvage some of this, Debbie... :(

Yeah, just because it says delivery confirmed doesn't mean you have it. I'm 99.9% certain my box of baby skunks from Bob Wendt was stolen because it said it was delivered, I never saw it, so i dug through all the dumpsters around the street and although I didn't find the box I did smell skunk residue in one of the dumpsters... I'm sick about it too, just imagining the beautiful little animals wasted in some garbage truck thanks to some greedy piece of chit hoping for valuables when I could have mounted them. First time it happened here, too. :(

Also I had issues in my last apartment because I was down the street from another street with the same name (Islington Street vs Islington Terrace) that also had a 2 and Apartment 2. These issues were with Fedex though, USPS knew the situation since they delivered daily, but once in a while I'd my 2 Islington St apt 2 neighbors would drop by with a Fedex envelope for me that was delivered to their house. I've also used tracking numbers to track my packages which went the complete wrong direction and wound up in CA before coming back to MA. Fortunately nonperishable. This stuff has happened with all three carriers so as far as I'm concerned its just personal preference. I do like USPS flat rate and priority.