1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

RARE -- White tipped gray fox

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by cameron2, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you have any of Glen's Stop Rot .. Please try to use it. It really does work and you may be able to still save it. If you don't have any, maybe someone can get some to you to try.

2. DropTine

DropTine DSCN0137.JPG

I agree with Bob, Why use dry Ice! I use ice packs and wrap everything including the ice packs in insulation. They are cold if not frozen that way. Hope it helps someone. Debbie I hope you can save it. Mark

3. If you buy anything that is raw, you should be willing to spend the money on the fastest service.

Who is to blame on the fox going bad,Not the USPS imo, they did there job and within the time they say they will.

Hope you learned a lesson.

4. orion

orion Marty Silva

Cole, Priority mail IS a 3 day service and is very reliable in that aspect in my area. That is not to say you don't have a problem hub in your area that may cause a problem but here in my office we have been averageing 98.7 parcels ontime with priority and many of those that are late are because of addressing issues. With this package I really suspect that it was because it was carrying dry ice. Right now, after the mail bombs found on UPS planes every package is under heavy scrutiny. Any suspicious package like one containing dry ice that wasn't marked correctly would get pulled out of the priority mail stream and placed into the Parcel Post mailstream. While there is no gauruntee on priority it is still pretty rare nationally for a priority package to be late. Nationally the average on time is at 98 percent. If the gauruntee is important then there is still the 1-2 day express and if that faiils you can blame Fedex. The biggest thing I can reccomend is to use the carrier that works for your area best. I think it really depends on what part of the country you are in. Personally, in my area I will use USPS or fedex becuase we have all sorts of problems with UPS.

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

It is NOT a guaranteed service, and three days in a LOT of cases, is laughable.

6. orion

orion Marty Silva

I never said priority is gaurunteed. Express is but you guys in Alaska don't count ;)

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Don't tell me, tell Debbie C. and her stinky fox. ;)

8. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Like Bob Wendt, I haven't had problems with priority mail, and all the packages have to go through BALTIMORE first! Baltimore is pretty much a Detroit kinda place. Usually comes in 2nd or 3rd place for murder rate per 100,000, has terrible public schools, a bit of an unwed mother problem, and a very over filled up city jail.

Now I do have some small styrofoam boxes, each is big enough for one frozen mountable fox hide to fit into it. Now and then someone has to have it raw frozen, but really I hate doing that anymore. Prepped and salted and dried or tanned...

Regarding UPS trucks as the PO- yes the little rural PO near me does do some sort of contract work with UPS. UPS is more expensive in some regards, but I do like my UPS man, he is a hottie, but is married. Still nice to see him and say hi though. He used to give a dog treat to my blue heeler, but that dog had to be put down this last summer- 15 years and 4 months old and was deaf, nearly blind, almost no sense of smell anymore, had trouble walking, had some senility, and was messing on himself.

9. Wolfwoman

If it is not guaranteed then it's not a true 3 day service.

10. orion

orion Marty Silva

You are arguing semantics, I guess. Not everything is defined by a guaruntee. You are right it may be there in 1 day, 2 day, 3 day or more but this is tracked and nationally it is there within 3 days 98 percent of the time. If you want to say it is not a 3 day service because 1 out of every 50 packages in the country doesn't make it in 3 days then fine you can call it what you want.

11. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

Well - I have had a couple of problems with All of the delivery options - USPS - UPS and FedEx - so it pretty much a gamble with any of them IMO :-\ - when I ship anything I try ::) to figure out how they are gonna screw it up and try to compensate for it by over doing the packaging in any way i can. And Tracy has gotten back with me and wanted to refund my payment but I told him that i will just wait for another nice Fox from him if that's okay with him ;D He seems like a nice guy .. And SeaWolf I do have some of Glen's SpotRot and I did get it in some right away then froze it - but just knowing the way it smelled and some of the fur loss I think it just might be wishful thinking on my part :(

and WOW 5 pages LOL

12. Wolfwoman

I think you're one of the few that gets things in three days or less, I know LOTS of people across the country that ship hatching eggs and hardly EVER have them received in 3 days. 5-7 is more the average.

13. orion

orion Marty Silva

What part of 98 percent don't you understand? I am not one of the few. Alaska creates a lot of difficulty for carriers and perhaps you happen to witness an abnormal large amount of failures but all that would mean is that the rest of the country has an even higher ontime rate because your area is breinging down the average.

14. texascritter

texascritter Cell 972-904-9516

Well I should probably keep my mouth shut but USPS cost me over $2,000 in 2008. so as far as I am concerned they can take their 2 pound, 2 day $290 and stick it where the sun does not shine.

15. engc237

engc237 Active Member

2to 3 day priority mail to me in southeast idaho means 4to 5 days

16. Aktrpr

Aktrpr Active Member

If I'm mailing something priority mail, I always figure within a week. I EXPRESS everything that is perishable. But thats just me because I live in Alaska, in the lower 48 it sounds like its a toss up...

17. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

well, I got you alll beat . almost 100% of my priority packeges ,not going to the far east or west coast ,are in transit roughly 42 hours. to the far coasats its 66 hrs. how you ask? easy. the priority truck picks up at exactly 3:45 each day, I keep box and all frozen solid in the freezers unitill 3:30 and and am at the p.o. at 3:40. 5 minutes down time and then package goes from freezer to transit. ship only on a monday, arrives wed. whenever your delivery takes place normally. think I`m b.s.ing you? nope.ask anyone who has dealt with me on here, and it`s thousands of dealinghs. ice pack and item and then insulated and shipped on a MONDAY only. WITH DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. not in regard to debs fox, but in most cases of you buy off a newbie on here, you think he has a clue how to get it to you in 42 hrs, or packed proper? or you think he is a 14 yerar old kid that someonme told him, sellit on taxi net, they pay 5 cents more than joe the furbuyer! can`t buy ice packs etc for the extra 5 cents ,ya know?

18. Tsarevna

Tsarevna New Member

x2 on what Bob Says. I keep my priority packages in the freezer and arrive 15 mins prior to closing at the post office, which happens to be the time they ship. 5 mins to get to the post office means it was only 20 minutes out of the freezer before it went to transit.

Here are some Post Office Rules, applicable to all states, that people really really need to understand. If you don't understand these rules, you will have your package inspected, delayed, and screwed up.

1) Dry Ice Shipments must be marked with a haz-mat plaque. You can't print one out, you have to buy one. They are expensive.

2) Dry Ice has to be ventilated with holes in the package

3) Dry Ice packages routinely are refused on airplanes, which Priority Mail uses. They usually get sent ground, even if you paid for Priority Service. (They have a tendency to burst at high altitude if not properly ventilated...dry ice melts into a gas.)

4) Water Ice does not need a hazmat plaque, but it does need a declaration: you must print "CONTAINS WATER ICE" on the exterior of the package.
    -If you do not do this, you are asking for a delay in shipping. Any package that sloshes (without the declaration of water/soda/non-alcoholic beverage inside) will probably be inspected. This is to make sure it isn't a flammable liquid like gasoline. This inspection might add 2 days to your shipping time.

5) If you ship dead animals or perishable goods you are required to go to the post office and declare the perishable goods. You are not supposed to ship them from your porch like you can with some flat-rate or home-stamped packages. (You don't have to say what the contents are, just say that it is perishable animal bodies or body parts.)
    -The benefit of having your package declared perishable in-person, at the counter, means the postal clerk can use the red "PERISHABLE" stamp. This stamp tells other postal employees that it was cleared already by someone, and if it starts to smell they won't panic and feel the need to inspect it.

Tip: If you use PayPal, you can print the postage & label from PayPal.com. You can do this even if the customer did not pay using PayPal, you just pay for postage via your bank account. PayPal automatically emails your customer with updates on where the package is. It's a nice feature. Buying Delivery Confirm service is usually about 75 cents and worth every penny.

Tip: Use USPS.com to check ESTIMATED SHIPPING TIMES.

Don't just throw zip codes into the Postage Calculator. Select the actual date you would like to send the package. After entering the rest of the information about the package, a delivery time estimate will be present next to the price. *Sometimes if you choose a different date to send it, the estimate changes to a shorter/longer period.

19. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

there you go. very few selles do this as a business and conduct business , business like. most are rank amatures selling for cheap without a clue. just saying . we are all experts in certain small areas ,and untrained in other areas. it`s nothing to be ashamed of, but it is what it is. you buy from amatures trying to make a quick buck on taxidermy sales vs the fur buyer and you get amature service, risk of rot due to flaky shipping, and amature specimens. animals with beat up heads, and beat up feet from traps not suitable for collecting taxidermy specimens . just because "by gawd I got him" does not make it taxidermy material. there are too many PERFECT specimens to be peddling ones with bum feet and shot up etc. that is kid stuff. if a front leg is beat up from a trap, it`s at best a 1/2 cape, not lifesize material unless a rare unique animal worthy of a taxidermist expertise at repair. with the internet I see this place flooded with cheap inferor goods, damaged feet, shot up, arriving rotton, etc. sign of the times I guess. the obama plan must not be working if sellers and buyers are that ^**^&$#% desparate.

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Be careful who you call amateur, you were just asking how to turn an ear last week.