1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

RARE -- White tipped gray fox

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by cameron2, Nov 8, 2010.

1. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

great fox

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

It "used to be".

3. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

.I never claimed to be a taxidermist, but I am an expert trapper and seller and shipper and businessman. at the top of the hill. no doubt about it.

4. General Lee

General Lee Member

If I could only be as "perfect" as you:)

5. Its kinda funny how a post about a "fox deal gone bad" somehow gets turned around to the last few comments. Some people just never grow up - and that is NOT directed towards Bob!

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

It doesn't matter who we use for shipping. They ALL mess up every now and then. I prefer things I buy on here to be either tanned or salted. I've lost too much money because of slow shipping. It happens to all of us. I don't care how good things are packed.

7. bob wendt

rarely yes, regular or common or even more than 1-2 per100, no way. any higher than 1-2% failure rate, then the shipper is at fault in some way. no one need worry that raw frozen skins will arrive rotton. in this greyfox case apparently it was the dry ice that zapped the delivery. there isn`t always a reason if delay occurs, but almost always there IS a reason.

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Bob I'm not saying that I buy all my stuff from one seller and constantly have problems. I'm saying I've had problems with all shipping companies.

9. bob wendt

I`ve had 50% failure rate with fedex and ups, meaning take a week to get there when paid for overnight. with usps maybe 1-2 failures in the last 4-5 years out of thousands of shipments. that`s pretty good! so I refuse to ship ups or fedex and if foks won`t take usps, then we just don`t have a deal. I am positive a good part of my "good luck" with usps is the excellent packing and timely shipping on mondays only, only when no holiday in the week, and direct from freezer to active transit, no down time in the hot p.o. waiting for the priority truck. for instance, I have about a dozen packages to go out right now, but will not ship till after this next weeks thanksgiving holiday.

10. mike108

mike108 New Member

PA
    Bob you must have a very organized post office in your neck of the woods. Letters, salted hides, dry tans i'll use usps. Everything else ups, just too many issues with usps for me personally to trust the stuff getting there on time.

11. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

One risk shipping a green frozen fox and even a whole frozen fox is those dastardly ears. I've also sold a few dried salted ones where the buyer messed up somewhere in the rehydration process or the fox had some sort of big bacteria problem. Now any fox I prep out to salt gets stop-rot all over the ears, inside and out. Still no 100% guarentee though.

This relates to specimens perfect vs messed up paw from trap, or other problems. If it is warm when trapping and I cannot get the fox cooled down or skinned asap, I worry. If the delay is past a certain amount of time, those foxes just get skinned for fur. If the fox has a foot with more than a few tiny cuts or an easy sew, it is better suited as a fur hide, unless it has a rubbed rump or something, then it gets caped for a sh mount. Sometimes landowners or hunters I know leave a fox for me and it may have been sitting out who knows how long- in the sun too. If it is super duper nice I'll case skin and tan it myself- if the ears slip, then I have a hat maker hide. If it is average or has damages ( like missing a couple toes), it just gets skinned for the fur.

This is why I decided to tan my foxes and sell them tanned, noting anything that needs repair. If one turns out with more than a dot size slip here and there on the ears, then I either sell it to Shrecken on here to make a zombie roadkill fox mount LOL, or it is hat material. I am hoping that those who bought tanned foxes from me this year soaked them out ok, had great stretch and no problems. Nobody has complained, so I assume the tan is ok in this regard. Now if only I could find another source for syn-oil tan since Van Dykes no longer sells it due to McKenzie buying them out. This stuff works great with Rittel's oil applied after allowing the tannage to bond for a bunch of hours. Oh yeah I need a new motor for the tumbler so I can get the fur cleaner in finishing ( mineral spirits mixed in to remove any tanning oil residue on the fur- and needs a good 30 mins or so).