1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tip for ticks

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by troy, Nov 10, 2010.

1. troy

troy Member

PA
    I don't know if you know this one or not but maybe it will help someone. If you find a tick on you that has already buried himself in, take a glob of vaseline and cover him completely in it. Bury the little bugger in it!! Then, cover it up with a band-aid and wait about a half an hour. Then you can just wipe him right off with a tissue. I think it smothers them and they come right out, head and all. I've had a few stuck in me so far this year, and it has worked every time. Hope you get them before they bury in on you, but if you don't , try the vaseline thing. It works and it's easy and painless. PS. I used Vick's vapor rub on one I found on me at home. Worked the same!

2. Around here you have so many ticks that if you followed your post,Wal mart would be out of bandaids and vaseline.

Just pull them no big deal.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I agree with John,............

Just grab them and yank them out.

:)

Kerby...

4. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

This is risky because when they die from the vaseline, they will regurgitate. If they are carrying a disease, you will be bombarded with virus or bacteria. It is best to just pull them out if possible.

5. Mason

Mason Active Member

I was always told to light a match and blow it out. Hold it on his lil A$$ he'll back right out. Haven't had the need to try it yet.

6. Call me crazy but I wear a white shirt when I skin and flesh and spray the cape down with ordinary Raid first. Works like a charm. Any surviving tick will be seen immediately on the white shirt. Hadn't had to pull a tick off me ever since I started wearing the white shirts. ;D

7. bowkill

bowkill New Member

Don't follow the heat idea, tryed on my first 2 they squirmed like crazy didnt come out tryed again they didnt squirm that time or any other time ever again so the i had dead ticks to pull out nurse told me to grab them with tweezers so you can get ahold of the head when you pull she said too save them for 2 days and watch for symptoms then toss and don't worry about it. But I didn't develop normal symptoms till way later and it took a long time for them to diagnose me with lyme disease and I fought it pretty hard for a couple years because of it.

8. Mason

Mason Active Member

Thanks for the heads up bowkill!

Like I said, never had to try it and now I know not to!
    They dont bother me much. I dont wear gloves while caping deer. Some times I cape them with tank tops on or no shirt at all. The table crawls with them. But only ever had a few on me and never had one dug in.

9. I use Ticked off... Works well, I have a shop dog that gets them, works like a charm...

www.tickedoff.com

10. troy

troy Member

PA
    Maybe not such a hot tip by the sounds of it. I'm not a wuss and I have just pulled them out but, I ripped the head off and it stayed in my skin. That sucked!! I didn't know about the regurgitation thing. I'm pretty good at gettng them BEFORE they get dug in, but if they do, the vaseline thing DOES work. Use it at your own risk. :D

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I skin the head while the whole cape is sitting in a plastic bag. I don't wear long sleeves and watch my arms for intruders. They prefer to stay on in the hair of the cape most times. I also skin on a tailgate or in an unheated garage so they are slow moving. Then I tie the bag up and freeze it for a few weeks. Never had one survive the freezing.
    Deer keds are a bit harder to contain. They run up your arms no matter what.

12. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

I usually spray them down good with the strongest flea and tick killer I can buy at the pet store. Cover them with a plastic bag over night that usually does the trick, if not I remove the antlers and lay the rest out into the freezer for 2-3 days. I had an unusual (first for me) flea infested deer last year. It was a BC Mule deer taken in late archery while wintering from the high cascades. I can't imagine fleas up there, must have been from free ranging cattle? But those ba$tards were nasty took two weeks to heal from their head to toe bites!

Jeff

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

during our 3 day gun season when I'm pretty much running on coffee and Mt Dew, I take a shower each morning and shampoo down with flea and tick shampoo for puppies, It is gentler on your skin than the regular stuff, in the evening I take refular shower. Never have them imbed on me that way always catch them on the move.