1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

charge for making dog body?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by pinkfuzzibunnies, Nov 10, 2010.

1. I'm going to be wrapping a body of a dog (pet) for this taxidermist I know and I'm wondering what to charge....she asked me but I don't have a single clue and I don't want to give a price too high or low. I won't be mounting it or anything...just making the body. Thanks

2. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

time and material

3. how much for time...what kind of hourly wage.....

4. bowkill

bowkill New Member

What do you feel your time is worth spent away from your family?

5. In my shop it would $40 an hour plus cost of materials. The $40 an hour is a combination of hourly wage and overhead.

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

3 dollars an hr. How in the hell are we to tell you what your time is worth?

7. nitt

nitt Member

at least 20 hr minimum

8. oh my goodness! Do people actually make the decision in their brain that since this is a message board and you don't actually know anyone you can be as rude as you want.

It's a simple question, what is the industry standard for this type of work.......just like there is an industry standard price for the mounting of a deerhead, duck, or wolf, and people choose to go above or below that.......I mean, I could say I am so grand that my time is worth $5000 an hour (and believe me, some people actually would) but nobody is going to pay that, hence a standard so niether the company or the customer get screwed....

Thank you chrisneff....as for the others, if you don't feel like answering the question then why comment at all...the only thing you're accomplishing is being a jerk and frustrating those looking for honost help.

9. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

if I were you, i would charge at least twice the commercial rate of a mannikin similiar to the size of the dog - just for the custom mannikin, then add the mounting price. For example, if a ls mannikin runs 75.oo charge at least 150 to 200.00 (to cover costs) then add the mount price into that figure...

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

No such thing,............

**what is the industry standard for this type of work**

Not being rude, but there is no such thing as an industry standard for pricing, even on deer heads. Deer heads range from $175 to $1,200.....I would hardly call that a standard. Some taxidermists whore themselves out and they are happy with that while others have figured out what their time and talent are worth to them and charge accordingly....only to have the taxidermy whores say they have egos. LOL

I would hope that you get paid what you are worth. The material cost I'm sure you can figure out. It's the time and talent you have that you have to assign a "worth" to it. Don't cut yourself short, very few taxidermists can wrap a dog body (me included), as I would choose to make a body cast.

:)

Kerby...

11. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

i would carve that baby from looking at a FROZEN carcass in position, in about 2 hours tops... ;) :D

12. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

You are doing a commissioned work of art, and you are providing highly skilled labor. Do you also have to provide the materials?

I think that the $40 per hour figure and/or double the cost of a comparable lifesized form are both reasonable estimates.

A taxidermist that can't or won't make their own form is highly suspect, at least in my book, and they should know better than to expect bargain-basement pricing on custom work.

13. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

its no exactly a question that they can answer correctly. get you some thicker skin

14. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I pretty sure she directed that tward me LOL and I apologis if you think Im being rude, but seriously how can we tell you what your time is worth? Like Kirby said there is no industry standard because we aren't producing widgets where everyone of us cranks out the exact same work. Everything we do is customised somewhat. I could tell your $20 an hr, $40 and hour or double what a compairable sized form is worth. But We have no clue how good you are, If it comes out looking like a giraffe when it was suppose to be a dog, it wouldn't be worth what you spent on the materials to make it.

15. I knew there was no exact rate...I just needed an idea to give her so I don't sound rude if I ask to much and don't screw myself as well...

thank you for all the comments...I think I'm going to charge around $80-100 because I am a beginner...and if by chance it turns out bad I of course wouldn't charge anything, scrap the wrap and she can make a cast from the body. But oh my gosh this dog is FAT...it's supposed to be a little maltese dog (around 20 lbs normally) but this thing is 28" around, I don't think the thing could walk...so gross :p

16. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

just an opinion, but since your in lostwages,,,,,,that job should be a minimum of five hundred....most dermists in the state will charge a custom fee and dogs commonly go for over 600.00 ;)