1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowtan

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mike76, Nov 10, 2010.

1. I HAVE USED KROWTAN SEVERAL TIMES AND IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN GREAT. BUT I OPENED A NEW BOTTLE YESTERDAY FOR A BOBCAT HIDE. ANYWAY TODAY THE SOLUTION WAS CLEAR AS A BELL. NOT BROWNISH LOOKING LIKE THE OTHER TIMES I HAVE USED IT. THE SMELL IS STILL THERE STRONG. THERE IS A BIG RING ARROUND THE CONTAINER THAT I CANT WIPE OFF. IS HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM? AND DID THE HIDE TURN OUT.?

2. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    Call the supply company and ask them, they may be able to have you send it back for a refund or replacement.

3. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME ILL GIVE THEM A CALL

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Must be hard of hearing,,,

5. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

WHY DONT YOU CALL THEMMMMM...................................

AND DONT YELL AT THEM ON THE PHONE........................

6. chickenrunn

chickenrunn Member

Well ,I have had this problem one time before did you rember to shake the SHIT out of the krowtan bottle? not having the krowtan solution mixed in the bottle seams to have it separate in a full tanning solution. I also had it one other time when showing someone how to tan and they had the same problem the PH in the city water was to low so that it didn't make the solution combine to the high PH needed to properly set "into" the hide..So first check the bottle to see if it has separated and second check your water PH to ensure that it is at a neutral state before starting your solution..

7. Chicken run yours messed up on pH and what goes on.

We have the hardest water around, high high levels of limestone from the well and Krowtann will drop the pH instantly. from a 9.4 down to 2.1 when mixed by directions.

8. Well I didnt yell at them. When I called they were very helpful. The bottle was new but a year old. All that happened was the oil has sepperated from tho rest. I was told to rub crow oil on the hide when I took it out of the solution.That came from the manufacture them selfs.

9. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Great! But, your going to have to squeeze a couple of crows to get enough oil...

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

How do your hides turn out starting at 2.1? Mine well water is slightly on the base side of neutral and THe pH is right at 1 after putting in KT.

11. I really dont check my PH level. Im new to taxidermy and Rick Carters video did not say to check the water first. But to answer your question all 12 deer,3 cats,2 dogs,and ring tail cat have turned out just fine.

12. Another satisfied customer....:)

13. chickenrunn

chickenrunn Member

Sorry haven't been on here and a while..no MINE was due to the oil separating...Essence Shake the shit out of it..just because it says I am a new member I have been doing Taxidermy and using Krowtan for over ten years..And use it exclusively...

14. I'm new to this, I thought it was suppose to do that. All four of my deer I did from that bottle turn out great and had no problems. Fixen to get me another bottle soon...

15. Thats why it sys shake the bottle. It could effect your skin and it could not it just depends. Have had it happen once and hide did turnout but there is a chance it couldnt.