1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

was it me or the tannery???

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by billy, Sep 25, 2006.

1. billy

billy New Member

Hi All;
    I would like to know what is the best way to soften a bear hide, just back from the tannery, the last time I did this I put it in some water for a few mins, because the ears and mouth were hard and would not fit the form, and I dont want that to happen again was it something I did wrong on the last one or what? Thanks again

2. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Put a little salt in the water too. Wouldnt hurt.

3. Billy, how is your bear tanned, dry or wet? It sounds like you have a dry tanned bear hide and you plan on mounting the head? If so, you will need to resoak the head in some water with some salt added for approximately 30 minutes. Then take it out of the water, let it drain some and bag it up overnight in the fridge. This will soften up the nose and ear cartilage. You can then mount the head up the next day with no problems. If this is for a lifesize mount soak the whole skin, if it is for a rug only soak the head. :)

4. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Do like Evelyn says. It sounds to me like you didn't soak it long enough. I always use cold water when soaking a dry tanned hide.I heard about someone who used hot water once and the hide disintegrated.
    Chuck