1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New #2 Bear in the World...Who wants to mount it?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by scotprice, Nov 16, 2010.

1. horsefeathers

horsefeathers Member

Re: NEW #2 BEAR IN THE WORLD...WHO WANTS TO MOUNT IT

Kid screwed himself. With the circumstances around this kill, it won't go Boone and Crockett. Shooting tame bears doesn't get you into the real record books, no matter what lies you tell. Plus, he's gonna get exactly what he's paying for. What the hell do you expect a $3000 hackadermist job looks like on a bear...? I can't wait to see the pictures.

2. Re: NEW #2 BEAR IN THE WORLD...WHO WANTS TO MOUNT IT

x2

3. A friend of mine got a 387lb. black bear Monday, and I went to the check station with him. I talked to a warden about this record bear and he said the last he heard it was legal..."ethical, there's been a lot of questionable ethics surrounding this bear for a long time". Anyways, after taking in this 387lb. bear, it reinforced my idea of the record even more, not worth touching for anywhere near $3K.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I've got $5.00 ('cuz I'm not much of a gambler) that says there will never be any pictures of the completed mount posted on this website. (At least not intentionally.)
    We have all seen what the bear looked like before it was skinned and nobody who has any experience with taxidermy is going to be fooled into thinking that a cheap hack job can do it justice.
    I hate to see a pretty bear like Bozo being ruined by an amateur. I say amateur, because a professional would know what the job should be worth.

And now, a bird taxidermist's ignorant (but serious) question: Could it be mounted on a grizzly form if the head could be changed out and if the shoulder anatomy could be corrected? Are there any other obvious anatomy differences bewteen black and grizzly bears? I'm just curious. And I mean, could such a process do it justice, not could the skin be glued down and sewed up whether it looked right or not.

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Yes Nancy that is a solution that is frequently used with big black bears. It can be made to look just fine with alterations.

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    And why in the hell would you think any and every mount has to be posted on this website. Like it or not, not every Taxidermist in the country frequents this site. And after the load of chit these people received from so many of you ... why the hell would they? Man oh man ... You all just don't know when to stop. When to leave well enough alone. Whoever they take this Bear to, is no one's business ... plain and simple. You'll most likely see a photo of the mount in one of the many hunting magazines, with the complete story, as well it should be.

John.

7. orion

orion Marty Silva

Let's not forget the crap you throw at them John.

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Like it or not, a MAJORITY of them 50 and under do! Just because they do not post does not mean they do not come here quite often.

Hell, alot of the members of the TTAI will tell you "how bad" this site is........but they know about every darn thing posted :) LOL

9. LordRusty

Ohio
    No ... let's not forget I did not throw the crap at this guy. I don't do that to a potential client. I'm not that stupid! ::)

John.

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huge Black bear on left and Grizzle Bear mounted on the same forms for size. Altered for pose and anatomy. Change out heads. Even the female Black on the right is mounted on a Griz form. These are very large blacks. Yes it is common place to mount Large Blacks on Griz forms. Can be done quite nicely if you know what your doing as Dennis Harris did here.

11. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

I talked to this guy (not Scottprice) his Uncle on the phone about doing the bear the other day. I worked up rough price for him and will probably not get it because I will be more than $3000. Like I said to him if he wants a quality mount its not going to be cheap. Do to the fact that its a very big bear and there is going to be a lot of work involved in mounting it due to the size.
    But if he wants cheap be prepared for what you get back.

I would really like to get the mount but I am not going to do it for free.

12. That's the problem here. I think they are going by "We have a Record Bear, so if you mount it, you'll be famous!"

I very well know it would cost a lot to have that bear mounted properly. And I really doubt any taxidermist want to be in the red for doing someone's record bear. But as many mentioned, they'll get what they paid for and well its probably not going to do the bear justice.

Also have to think that altering a grizzly form to match a black bear probably would take a lot of time and labor.

13. orion

orion Marty Silva

John, let's keep this straight. Your reference about giving people "chit" was directed at other taxidermist not a "potemtial client". And yes you do sling a lot of it at some of the people that frequent this site. So if you are going to rebut something I said at least be smart enought to get it right ;)

14. I didn't sling anything. I did notice the slinging going on, and should have just stayed out of this. I've been talking to these guys and should have known I would never get this job. I now have a few hours of my time into talking to these guys and will get nothing to show for it. Altering is altering and you can alter the anatomy of the grizzly form to match the anatomy of the black bear, or alter the size of a black bear form to match the size of this bear. Either way there is a lot of work to be done and at $3K the taxidermist will be in the red or not do this bear justice. This is their bear though and they can do what they want with it. I would still love to get the bear, but for me to do it justice I can't lower my price.
    As far as my ethics quote above, that was straight from the mouth of the warden, and not directed at the hunters only. He felt there was a breakdown of ethics long before this bear was ever shot, and not just by the guy feeding the bear. NJ also tagged and released this bear, at that time a 700lb. bear that they knew was not afraid of people. I'm not saying that shooting it this way was right or wrong, but the local people that are pitching a fit would be on the other side if that almost 900lb. bear decided that the 9 year old down the street looked like a good meal. What would happen if Leroy died and no one wanted to foot the bill for the Twinkies, that bear would still need to eat. If you want to know how tame you can get wild animals, just ask Roy of Siegfried and Roy.

15. Smeja

Smeja New Member

I do a really good bear tan. I've done like 3 already. I'm willing to offer my krowtanning service for 125 dollars. Let me know if your interested. I can beat everybodys price. You could always just dp it. Save a bunch right there

16. LordRusty

Ohio

Then spell it out, 'genius'. I'm not a [expletive deleted]ing mind reader!

17. orion

orion Marty Silva

It's already spelled out for you, your Excellency. You accused people here of giving people crap on this site and I merely pointed out that you are just as guilty. If you pull your head out of our a$$ and reread your post you may comprehend it.

18. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

One thing a lot of people on here seem to not take into consideration is the financial situation of this hunter. He was luckey enough to harvest a world class black bear, but maybe he's just getting by with day to day cost of living. Most taxidermist will have no problem mounting this bear for ourselves, but when 8k, 10k prices come up, I know if I was not in the biz, my wife would be saying "are you f&*%[email protected] joking. These prices are on the money for a high end job, but its the one wearing the shoes that knows what he can and cannot afford.

19. horsefeathers

horsefeathers Member

This is where you think before you shoot. Maybe I've been taught by an oldschool hunter, but you don't kill a huge animal if you have zero intention of treating it well after it is dead. You always have the option of shooting a different animal, and not shooting the "trophy". That is the good hunters sense to know when to let an animal walk. If they wanted the bear for meat - which I doubt - good for them. They now have two freezers full of bear meat. After reading the language tossed around here by this kid who was supposedly involved in the hunt it's quite obvious that they were after the glory of shooting what amounted to a trophy sized tame (habituated) bear, and not meat to fill their freezer because they were hungry. As far as I am concerned, they can swallow that bill and hopefully choke on it when they get the results of the lowest bidder back. If they want to pinch some pennies while still doing the bear justice, they can just get the hide tanned - which costs a great deal less than taxidermying the bear - to hang onto if and when they decide to have it mounted, and when they have funds adequate to do so.

This isn't rocket science. And rest assured, we will see the results of this bear. Idiots generally like to trumpet their "successes". Can't wait to see the "success" on this one...

20. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

You are right Horsefeathers, think before you shoot, but with the sucess rate in PA, low, I know a few who have been going to PA,. see nothing, the excitement kicks in, the arrow or bullet is not comming back. In reguards to this bear, I'm sure a taxidermist in PA, and there a many good ones, will do a good mount, if for anything, name sake, and you will never hear as to the price paid.