1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New #2 Bear in the World...Who wants to mount it?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by scotprice, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

I heard Cabala's has put in an offer to buy it and have it mounted and placed in the Harrisburg store.

2. let Cabelas pay to have it mounted , they can display it in there store for 5 years and give it back to the guy who shot it . ;) Seems like a better idea than asking
    a taxidermist for a huge discount for the privilege of mounting the bear . I guess I don't know the quality you would get from Cabelas though either .

3. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

The grizzly in that pic caught a delicous bass. LOL

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Naw, it's just junk piled on top of it. But good eyes though! LOL

5. scotprice

scotprice New Member

those guys must be doing it wrong lol we kill bears like crazy in PA....we got 6 this year in the 3 day season. As for the mount...hang in there...youll see pics and know the price when its done

6. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

If you wanna call this what it really is, its auctioning off the job to the lowest bidder!

I cant believe that some of you are actually buying into this and bidding on the job.

7. I didn't "bid" on this job. I figured the time and materials myself and another taxidermist would have into this mount and determined a price. No discounts, deals or anything else. I would not have even given a price if I couldn't have gotten help from the other taxidermist, as he has one multiple blue ribbons with bears in the masters division at state shows. Don't get me wrong, I think I do good work, but this bear deserves better than good.
    You are right though Bill, they are auctioning it off to the lowest bidder. I should have known by the first post it wasn't worth my time to even determine a price.

8. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

No bid here just an honest price to mount it when I talked to him. That was in the $7500 range mount only no base or habitat work. More than some but less than others I thought that this was a fare price.

We all know who is going to end up getting this job. The lowballer and then jack his price up once he has the owner over a barrel and he wants his mount back.

9. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Maybe John is doing it for the World Show!

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I would LOVE to see John compete at the World show. But this isn't no squirrel.

11. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

a 744 pound bear may look good collecting his nuts! give him a break!!

12. horsefeathers

horsefeathers Member

I'm sure you do kill bears like crazy. That is generally what happens when you hunt over bait, and shoot tame bears. How many customers have you offered discounted hunts to keep them quiet?

13. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

No wonder the bear was so big or more like fat: "...fed the bear pies, doughnuts and other human foods since it had been a cub."

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101122/NEWS/11220308

14. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

I'd like to know the measurements off this bear for mounting. Is it an 8 foot bear with an equally wide girth or what?

Also, wouldn't it be nice if the MD taxidermist supposedly doing the mount posted here? Who is it, and are they a taxi.net member? Well, I'm not the one doing the mount, in case anyone wondered. I also know many of the "old timer hacks" probably are sceered to death of computers, despite all the older people who DO go online and post like maniacs. I have googled the names of taxidermists in MD I know to be "hacks"- no websites, not even anyone discussing them on a hunting forum. I did see a pic of some hunters with an incredible nontypical whitetail, posed out in front of one such "hack's" business location, but no one was mentioning the taxidermist, just ooohs and ahhhs at the rack. Oh the facepalms... you get something so unique like that and go to that "taxidermist"? And this "taxidermist" is one of those 40 years experience types. I'm talking guys who do work akin to what my 3rd through 10th practice deer mounts, up to my 2nd year learning. I'd think they would learn to do things better after so many years?

On the flip side there are some EXCELLENT taxidermists in MD, one has a website listed here at taxinet, deer mounts 525.00, LS bears at 395.00 linear foot, but no doubt would upcharge a good deal on such a huge black bear. I really enjoyed looking at the pics on their site, and now I strive to do some more learning to get to that comp quality look. I've been out of the loop for awhile, time for more continuing education.

15. scotprice

scotprice New Member