1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What will relax a freezer burnt cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Michael, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

OK, i have not ran into this problem yet but i would like to find out what would work, i have a cape that is still on the skull, and i wanted to know what would relax the freezer burnt areas, this cape must be used, and i just wanted to know what some of you elder taxidermist would use for this.

2. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

try injecting har areas with stoprot, it is a LOOOONG drawn out process, and sometimes you still can't get them to come off.

3. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

X2 Harley. However I have been lucky, I have always had them rehydrate just fine.

4. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Alot depends on how long its been in the freezer that way and how bad it is. We have had some that we wraped a sloppy wet towel around the
    face while its thawling out and it will absorb some of the water, again it depends how bad it is.

5. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I had one brought in that was in a cardboard box with no plastic in a freezer for over 2 yrs, That one I didn't get off LOL

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    You can inject a slightly warm, mild brine solution into the freezer dried skin ... about two teaspoons salt to 2 cups water. Use a fine needle Tuberculin syringe, and go a little at a time. It is slow but it is amazing how it works. The skin will plump and relax, and the salt will keep it from slipping. Because it takes time, be sure to wear latex gloves to keep heat transfer from your hands to the cape to a minimum. ;)

Good luck to you.
    John.

7. NICE TIP JB...

8. I've used the Ultra Soft that Bruce Rittel used to sell to rehydrate freezer burned skins that I wanted to tan for myself. It worked great.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I'd use a gutt'n stick, and pry the hide off.

10. soak it up in 50 50 parsoms sudsy ammonia and water. did one last year that was freezer burned bad and had no problems. Works with fish too