1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Big GATOR Mount FINISHED! Picture story of how we did it!

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by antlerman, Nov 17, 2010.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. antlerman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. antlerman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. now thats just plain AWESOME!!!!!!!

5. antlerman

Well, Thank You Elkie. The pictures are not in order but hopefully you can still follow the sequence. This was my first water splash. It was a learn as you go project. Thanks to all who helped in bringing this together. It went out the door tonight. Will have more pictures later once it's ALL put together and in it's final resting spot.

6. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Very impressive!

7. Awesome display Tim!! I'll stick to deer. That would never fit in my basement shop. LOL

Bruce

8. Bwana

Bwana New Member

Iowa
    That is a great mount Tim!! Did you get it completly done with the lion on it? If so do you have a picture?

9. antlerman

Yes Greg, It's completely done, but TOO Big to set up in the shop so we are gonna assemble in my customers house and then have it professionally photograghed. When that happens I will post a picture of it assembled. Getting the Lion in place requires an army, so we passed on doing that for now.

10. Bwana

Bwana New Member

Iowa
    Can't wait :D

11. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Cant wait to see the final picture!

12. Shadow_Wolf

Shadow_Wolf Make it look alive and real

Beautiful work. What's the best way to create a splash? I myself am getting ready to attempt my first splash mount.

13. Wow! That looks sharp! Nice job.

14. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

That is truly Awesome!

15. antlerman

Thank you everyone. ;) What's the best way to make a splash? LOL You might be asking the wrong guy cause it was definitely a trial and error type of deal. I started by using the plastic bead stuff from Research mannikin's that you heat up in the oven. That worked ok to get the base of the splash built. Then I went with Envirotex and started pouring that on what I had built. The envirotex is self leveling and wasn't giving me what I wanted exactly. So then I went to a clear casting resin. I found that I could leave it in the pot that I mixed in right up until it started to gel, (approx. 15 mins ) and then roll it out and get the turbulence that I was looking for. Then I wanted more splash, so I went to the plastic light covers and started melting with a heat gun and pulling and manipulating it with pliers. I spotted those in with a touch of hot glue and then came back over that with casting resin that I didn't let gel in the pot. Just poured it over everything. Then I took a Popsicle stick and just kept stirring and pushing the casting resin around to get that NOT so clear boiling turbulent water effect. Like I said, I just kept playing with different things and ended up where I was satisfied with the results. The one thing that I found that I could do most anything with was the clear casting resin. There is about 4 gals of it used in making this splash. I hope that helps, but trust me, I'm no expert. Just alot of trial and error. But I did have fun with it once I started to figure out how to manipulate the resin at different points in the gelling stages.

16. Shadow_Wolf

Shadow_Wolf Make it look alive and real

I don't mind trial and error, the splash would be for my own self so that if something should happen, it's not on a client's mount. Would it be possible to color the artificial water with something like an acrylic paint before it sets, like when it's freshly mixed and in the liquid stage?

17. antlerman

There are dyes available in Research catalog made especially for tinting water. Use those, they work great. Blue, Red, Yellow and Green.

18. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Gator looks great Tim!

Please dont take this the wrong way, because Im not trying to be a smarta55 here. But , whats up with the lion? Customer request? They come from different continents.

Customer just gonna lie, and tell his guests that gator is a croc?LOL

19. antlerman

EXACTLY!!!! His idea, not mine. But for what he paid me, customer is ALWAYS RIGHT.

20. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Haven't you ever seen one of those African Alligators..... LOL I'm a witness for Tim thats exactly what the guy called it so if he wants to spend the money on an African Alligator :D and call it that, so be it with the dollars he spent.... LOL ;D