1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Very small eyes...

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Beavis, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Beavis

Beavis Member

I have to do some little bluegills for my neighbors kid. I've molded and cast them. The smallest Flint eyes, or Still Life eyes I have are way too big. These are the smallest eyes WASCO carries. What do you guys use?

2. VanDykes has some small ones. Look at WASCO website

3. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Active Member

if it's only a few mm, fill the cheeks and eyes with fish fill, let dry, then dermal it out to accommodate the smallest eye you have.
    it's not the right way but if it's only a mm or 2 it works.

4. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Aqua eye come in some very small sizes and they look about the most accurate for a small eye. I ordered some 5mm frrom Tohickon and they sent me two sets of bird eyes.

PB

5. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

What does the size of the iris (color portion) measure in mm? Because of the sclera (ball shaped portion) being larger than the exposed iris portion, it should be sunk into the eye orbit so as to be rotated into any position. You can effectively use my lenses if they are a bit to large or small. Using them if larger, simply means pushing them in a bit further and will give you a more bulbous looking eye. If using as bit smaller, you can add more sclera by using a sculpting epoxy. As an example a so called 10 mm SLL can be used for a 9,10 or 11mm iris measurement. It is mostly about the iris and pupil sizes you fix on the interior of the lenses. By coming up with lens sizes I did, was for as much leeway as I could put into each them. But each size still has a preferred interior for a pupil and iris.

Please remember when ordering any fish eye: First determine what iris size your fish has or had, because this is how all manufactures sell fish eyes. Nearly all only sell the iris portion of a fish eye. You'll need to fashion your own sclera with them. My lenses are larger than the iris size you use to order from, because they include the sclera portion also.

Hope this is helpfull,

Jeff