1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cape buffalo"insect damage"?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jeffwhitehead, Nov 17, 2010.

1. jeffwhitehead

jeffwhitehead New Member

Just mounted a buffalo that tannery said had insect damage and epidermis slippage. Well, it basically looks like it he has the mange. My question is what are you guys tricks to stain/paint the skin where there is no hair? Thinking about dark brown paint mixed with thinner and dabbing on with a cloth. Any suggestions on how to best handle it? Thanks - Jeff

2. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Jeffro ;) The best thing to do is stain it ALL before mounting. I have used ritz black and brown. And don't leave it to long. Just using black makes it look purple. Just brown makes it look red. It is hard to make it look natural just staining individual areas. How those stock capes work out?

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Spray the whole mount. Use chocolate brown and black to tone.

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

jonas sells the best paints for african specimens.....they also have paint schedules in the back of their catalog

5. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

They are all that way, especially the older bulls. The previous advice is good, all you can do is paint it.

6. RDA did a tutorial on this and he had a fancy name for it but I cant remember what it was. I will try and find it for ya.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Hair? Cape Buffalo have hair???

8. here it is. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,229230.0.html

9. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Stippling is interesting but you won't do that on a Cape Buffalo, you could add two days of labor to a Buffalo trying to stipple all the bare spots.

10. jeffwhitehead

jeffwhitehead New Member

Thanks guys! Will try to post some before and after pics.

11. yea it seems like it would be time consuming just figured i would throw it out there