1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bad Batch of Lifetone Paints

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by kahoff, Nov 18, 2010.

1. kahoff

kahoff New Member

I ordered about 10 bottles of Lifetone Hydro-Mist paint from WASCO. About half of them had seperated and hardend so I was not able to mix them. The Off White was the worst. I am thinking about switching to Wildlife Colors when I send these back. Are there any other brands of paint with colors comparable to the Off White, Yellow Ochre, Rich Brown, and Sailfish Blue that you would suggest? Any help would be appreciated. Also has anyone else recently had problems with Lifetone paints? Is there a way to mix them after they have seperated and hardend like this?

2. j_cbivens

j_cbivens Member

I have been using polytranspar laquer based paints and have not had any issues with them. Polytranspar paints have always flowed pretty good through my airbrushes.

3. My off white separates quickly, and arrived in the same condition as yours. :mad:
    I had to stir/scrape it...shaking it would not do. Then shake a lot. The other colors as well but not as much as the white.
    The white pigment separates to a large degree in just a few days. And requires more effort mixing and more thinner (water) and retarder than my other colors.
    Ron

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily think that it's a bad batch of paint - I just think that water-based paints are a lot harder to work with. It's the nature of the beast. I always had trouble with the whites and/or any of the other colors which contained a lot of white, like pale blue, off-white, etc. Polytranspar is the same way. Once you manage to get them stirred up sufficiently they will only spray for a short time before they decide to dry up on the tip of the airbrush.
    I finally switched to lacquers even though I hate the smell, and they are SOOO sweet to work with - there is no comparison.

5. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

i have that same problem....

i took a old palm sander i got from thrift store
    got a 3 inch piece of pvc pipe,,,liquid nailed it to the pad

put bottle in the pvc and waalla paint shacker.....

hope this helps good luck,ohhh poly transpar are easzzzzzzzzy flowing even on 20 lbs.great paints

freddy

6. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Email sent

7. kahoff

kahoff New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

8. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

if waterbased paints freeze that could cause problems too, I hate waterbase it can be hard to work with sometimes.