1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oil question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by linspace, Nov 18, 2010.

1. linspace

linspace New Member

The oil(s) used for tanning (pro-plus etc.) What exactly is this oil.. is it produced for the taxidermy industry as a whole, or is this oil available under another name on the common market. I ask for curiosity, but also for saving money.. if this oil is available locally under a commercial name and supply companies just re-bottle it, then I can purchase a lot without the shipping costs. McKenzies is getting ridiculous, as is others.. so heavy chemicals (oils, acids, etc...) I would prefer to buy locally.. but I know there must be another name for this oil.. or any other oils you can use??

2. Chances are you can't buy it locally. There aren't that many places that deal in it, and even if you are close to one, you'll need to buy a minimum of 55 gallons. Also, some of what you see from the suppliers are not straight out of the drum, they are actually blends or different products. Your best bet is to just keep dealing with the suppliers like you are now, any cost savings you see won't be worth the extra investment.