1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

PROBLEM REHYDRATING A WOLF NOSE....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Light Rail Coyote, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

First off, I'll have to admit that I'm pretty new to all this taxidermy stuff. I'm currently in school for wildlife management and have been interested in the idea of taking up real taxidermy for a while. In the meantime, though, I've been making a pretty decent earning by creating headdresses for pow-wows, costumes, and re-enactors.

All I really do is rehydrate the face and shape it over a form so that it holds a more natural-looking appearance while it's draped over the wearer's head. I recently got a tanned wolf pelt that I'm making into one such headdress, and the darned nose is giving me hell. The wolf was professionally dry tanned, though I don't know which tannery did it. It's a Canadian timber wolf that was struck by a car. Fell on its left side and apparently laid there for a while before someone picked him up. The ear on that side is damaged but should be repairable. The nose, however, is flattened on the left side and will not co-operate with my attempt to fix it. It's been rehydrating in a bowl of water on the floor of my dorm room (freaking out my poor roommate) for well over an hour now and the nose is still rock hard.

What should I do? My last resort is simply to create a new nose from epoxy resin. Should I just give up now and try that instead?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

2. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Give it some time. if the nose wasnt turned and fleshed properly, the nose cartilage will take some time.

3. Had sort of the same problem with my wolf. She didn't have her lips split or her nose skinned out. They were rock hard even after an hour of soaking. I used warm water and salt after that and the nose and lips got better. Then I bagged it and let is sweat for a few hours, got much better after that. As after the shot said, it needs time.

4. Put the wolfs head in a walmart sack and the rest of the pelt in a garbage bag ( to protect it from anything in your fridge) and leave it over night to 24 hours. If its still giving you problems take your scalpel, And thin out the nose as close as possible without cutting the outside. Stick it back into the bucket of water for 15 min and put back in the fridge. i have never come across a nose that will not hydrate. Its usually just a matter of cutting out the extra cartaliage that is preventing the nose from hydrating.

5. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Thanks all! I'll try the advice above and report back if it still gives me a hard time. :)