1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Would you put a bullet in this one???

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by joeym, Nov 20, 2010.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If you do, it'll cost ya, LOL. This is a decoy deer that davidp and I put together for use by conservation officers. I hate to know what he'll look like in a few weeks!!!

[​IMG]

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

LMAO Joey! I remember you talking about that when I was over a few weeks ago. If I'm not mistaken, Alabama DNR isn't allowed to use "Trophy" sized racks on their decoys anymore. This came after some "prominent" citizens were caught shooting a decoy and it was ruled as entrapment because of what "trophy" size antlers will make "good" people do! Yeah, whatever. You shoulda put hinges on the feet so it could fall over when shot! And oh yeah, a bell that would go "ding"! :D

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

So Perry,.......

So Perry....if I'm sitting at the bar and this nice "trophy sized" blonde gal walks by with a big rack.....is THAT entrapment? ;D

Actually, I would like to see what case law established that big antlers on a deer decoy qualifies for entrapment.....because it does not fit the legal definition of entrapment.

Kerby...

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

This deer is changeable when it comes to antlers. This is a set of 130+ sheds that were picked up in Alabama, Perry! They can be taken off, and replaced with a nice little 100 inch eight point rack, OR, the antlers can be totally removed and the deer looks like a big ol' nanny standing out there!

Davidp and I mounted this deer while I was wearing an arm sling and a neck brace. He told me I could lay on my a$$ and feel sorry for myself, or get up an do something worthwhile. Having physical therapist as your friend can be VERY painful at times, LOL!

5. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Boy that little fellow is going to ruin a few dummy's day!!

6. We mounted a few of those for our conservation department a few years back (until they started using a local taxidermist who got fined by them and has been mounting them for them to pay off his fines...we got paid, though!) At that time, theirs didn't have removable antlers. I came up with that concept, using the detachable antler sets available at suppliers. Theirs were robotic, as well. Head could turn and tail moved. The agent would be within radio range of the deer and watch for autos on the road, then could move the head to follow the vehicle. I remember mounting on for them that had been shot right in the mechanical unit. Totally obliterated it.

We didn't put the hooves on them. Just mounted them down close, as when they were out in the field, the feet didn't show anyway. The forms they had ended with rods they stuck into the ground.

7. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I don't set the laws here in AL Kerby, that's just what a DNR friend told me when I ask why he just had a 4 point rack on his decoy while visiting one day. May not even be a law, but a just a recommendation from his superiors.

8. a big ole rack will make a boy REACT faster every time!

at least from my experience, in dear hunting....i meant deer hunting.

9. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

People that are dumb enough to shoot decoy deer deserve to be caught. IMHO

10. thus-sung

thus-sung New Member

What are the decoys for? Do they catch people hunting off-season, or in the wrong area, or what? This one looks great, Joey.

11. It is illegal to shoot at night, from the road , with aid of a light, or out of season. A ticket can also be written in our area just for shining a light( harrassment of wildlife).

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Nice job guy's. I'd be willing to bet some fools will put some holes in it.

13. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Every time I see one of those I just think that it would be funny as he11 if someone were to "stalk" it from the other side, (not from the road, across a fence or illegal in any way) shoot it (if it were in season) and then tag it and take it home. 'Not much meat on it, but hey -- it's still a deer.

14. Is it a RoboDeer decoy? those things are awesome...i have seen "pocher" videos taken by DFG in which they catch guys shooting at them...its hilarious

15. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Very nice! I can't remember if it was youtube or tv but i saw where a guy veered off the road at mach 9 and whacked the decoy in his truck, CLAIMED that he was trying to give his kids a closer look! Lol

16. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Looks great, but the ear butt are to long and low, LOL

17. ear butts had to be where they were so the antlers could be removed (both sets)...........

and the doe version has testicles!

18. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

When I lived in Montana back in 1989-1999 the Fish & Wildlife wardens set up this Robo-Elk not far from a street corner of our neighborhood subdivision. They had this one poacher they were trying to catch and knew who he was. When we went by there to get home one night, we pulled into this other road to shine our lights on this Robo-Elk with red eyes and out of the bushes came this warden and he asked us what we were doing. He told us to hurry along, because they had like 6 wardens all hiding all around this Elk and wanted to catch this poacher in the act. Well, long story short, the next day I called there office and talked to this warden for like half hour on why would they put this Robo-Elk right ion the line of fire near all these homes we lived in. This warden tried to weasel his way out of this with many excuses, but eventually he did tell me, they would not again put that Robo-Elk near our homes again. The man at the other end of the road they eventually caught. I think it is ok to set up traps for poachers, but using common sense where they are to be stationed to not endanger anyone if the poacher does decide to shoot for the Robo-Deer or Elk.

19. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

Im working on a couple of those now.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Nice job guys,, if anyone wants to know how fun it can be shooting mounts,, take one of your old clunker deer heads to the range and hang it on a saw horse, and tune your gun in. A ton of fun!