1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How old do you think this deer is?? Pic FINALLY up! LOL

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Nov 22, 2010.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

He 's too heavy for a 2 1/2 and you don't start seeing sway and old man gut until around 5. His neck and fromt shoulders are well developed. So are his rump. You don't see that kind of development until 3.

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I say 3 1/2....we shall see, my cousin or Tom's wife Brenda....if they see him they can have him.

3. Antlerman, Here in Michigan i've shot 18 month old deer that big. To me that deer is not heavy !!! far from it. The sleek racehorse look is common in younger deer here. Not 3 1/2 and up. I've shot 3 1/2 yr olds well into the 200 plus lb range, but he is a Texas deer so guess not everything is bigger in Texas.

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

A couple of things for you to look at. 1) he is a short hair deer, so he doesn't look heavy due to winter hair. Northern deer are heavier as a rule. Think Canada. Harsh winters will drive a deer to fatten up. This is Texas. Not much need for fat reserves. 2) Look at the distance from his shoulder to the brisket. It is deep. You won't find that yet in a younger deer. 3) Look at the muscle development in his neck. That isn't all rut swell. That is muscle development. Big difference.

Yes in the north, you would see a fatter deer, but not necessarily a more developed deer.

5. michael p.

You are exactly right on that, I am in central Texas which is a small to medium deer, the hill country lends to sway to the smaller side and South Texas is where you can find a 200 pound deer, but that's even seldom. 180 pounds in south Texas is a good deer! LOL

6. Michael p, Yea guess i get a little spoiled hunting these Southern Michigan Hillsdale county,Jackson county farms. Lots of big deer year after year around here. Shoot the damn thing already and end the guessing LOL!!!

7. michael p.

He was out at 6:30 this morning according to the game cam and we didn't get in the stand till 7:15 LOL

Deer were everywhere in the pastures this morning and when I got to the farm the cows had invaded the left overs of the feed pen I had taken down Saturday which BTW is 30 yards from my deer blind! :)

8. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

It is so hard to tell with it being a hill country deer. I say 3 1/2, I think.......

9. michaelf

michaelf New Member

3 1/2

10. 3 1/2 ... could that be the one we saw on foot last year ?