1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Does anyone know what animal this is?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Omnivore, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Omnivore

Omnivore New Member

My apologies if this isn't the appropriate place to ask, Lifesize Mammals was the closest I could get...

anyway, this has been bugging me for half a year now. Whatever it is I know it can't be worth much or anything, I'm just curious; it's too soft for wolf or coyote, it doesn't seem like fox (unless it's been dyed, but it doesn't look like it); I considered fisher, but I don't think so. Then again, I've never felt fisher. It's about 50 inches from nose to tail tip.

Anybody got a clue?

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a yote to me.

3. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

X2

4. Can we see is face? That might help.

5. My guesses are a Marten, Fisher or a very large Mink. I don't think its a coyote because of that tail.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

It looks like a fisher to me. They are VERY soft.
    It looks like the end of the tail may of been ripped off. Fisher have long tails. But the color is right for them.

7. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

if that's a stole done by a furrier it will be hard to judge by the face ,they narrow the face ,sew eye holes shut and place the fakes at a different position then ''let out'' the whole hide by cutting a series of v shaped cuts the full length .,,,by sewing it back together after pulling the ''v's '' apart the hide is lengthened by quite a bit ,redwolf might be right a fisher hair does look very dark ,or a dyed coyote!!

8. I don't think minks come in the 50 inch variety. LOL.

9. Otter with a fake tail

10. Omnivore

Omnivore New Member

I just really don't think it's coyote, no coy I've felt (hide or tail) is this soft. I've got a marble fox and they feel the same, 'cept the fox has longer fur.

Webfoot is right, the face is all sculpted and weird. I've got a plucked mink scarf and I tell ya the thing looks like mink-zilla, same color and face and bugged-out eyes. Taking into account furrier altering, could have started out 30-40 inches. I did think it looked like a sewn-up fisher, but I guess I'll only know that for sure when I get around to buying myself a fisher pelt.

Any other ideas?

11. Coyote.

12. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Very poor pic. but it looks like a coyote.

13. A picture in the sunlight would help us ALOT.

My guess is it is a "Raccoon Dog" or Finncoon or Tanuki. With a really crappy replacement coyote tail.

Tanuki fur is obviously double coated. long Guard hairs with a curly looking under coat.

14. Raccoon dog is an interesting guess!

15. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

Doesn't look like a fisher, and the tail is too short anyway. The color pattern looks like a coyote, and the size is right.

16. Looks like a really large black house cat to me. Kinda hard to tell details with the photo though.

17. jason

jason Active Member

SASQUATCH!!!!!

18. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    It is a Fisher ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John.

19. Martin

Martin roes, my obsession, my fate

Could that be a marmot?

20. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Thank you John for posting the pics, as soon as I saw it and read the discription it was screaming Fisher. Everything about the pic say's that it is a Fisher.