1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Does anyone know what animal this is?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Omnivore, Nov 24, 2010.

1. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Some dirtroad nigger dog. ::) ;D

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Wrong answer, guy! There is not enough color variance throughout the overall coat to warrant calling it a Coyote. Fisher - yes. Coyote - no ... NO! Even the length is correct. Fifty inches tip to tip is not uncommon for a large, mature male Fisher. The fur length is uniform, unlike that of a Coyote, which has longer, heavier guard hairs down the center of the back ... unseen on the pelt in question. If you are the artist you claim you are, you would know that. You want to make a claim, and then knock me? ... explain it then, or jump off!

This is a large, male Fisher ... nothing more, nothing less.

John.

3. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I don't want to get involved in the pissin match, but lighting has a lot to do with the pic. Better pics would help.

5. RDA

RDA Active Member

if its a yote, wheres the ears???

6. orion

orion Marty Silva

It screams out fisher to me. I have read all the arguments both ways but the softness of the fur just seems to back up the fisher argument.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Here is a POS I did years ago. :D
    [​IMG]

same thing without flash.
    BIG difference. This was an early season short haired catch.

[​IMG]

8. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Could it be a Russian Sable???? They look a lot like a Fisher and can be huge as well.

9. LordRusty

Ohio
    There's no need for me to erase this post, because I am correct ... no matter what you or anyone else here says, or how large they choose to type.

How many Fishers have I done ... none of your business! Suffice it to say I have handled them whole and skinned from Canada, the state of Maine, and the state of Alaska. And let me tell you ... EVERYTHING grows large up there!

Alaskan Fisher, Coyote, Fox, Wolf, all larger than what you will find in the lower states.

What claim you have on anything is beyond me. You all love to insist I "don't do Taxidermy" or "Don't make my living from Taxidermy" ... don't go there Wayne. I still take work in ... even back when I "got out" for a time, I still took in work from clients who insisted on it. That's more than I can say for you. You do not even accept work! You say so on your website :eek: ... you mount stuff for eBay sales ... so much for that!!! ::)

So ... just how many Fishers have you handled or done, and where were they from? It's none of my business, and I really don't care ... so you can keep that little secret to yourself. It doesn't matter one little bit to me, or to the big picture of things.

The skin is that of a large Fisher.
    FISHER!!!!!!!!!!
    With the further photographic proof, you are the one who should just let this go ... you can't get more wrong.

Finished, over, done.

John.

Jason, it could be a Russian Sable ... only I thought they were a lighter color? Good call, regardless.

10. RageofAnath

RageofAnath Will make art for money or dead things.

Need more pictures, with better lighting.

11. I think fisher as well.

12. Whatever it is it must be a NASCAR fan because it can only turn left. ;D

13. LordRusty

Ohio
    Nope! Not with that tiny head! The one on the fur ... not yours! ;) Not to mention the tiny remnants of the upper leg skins, or the apparent lack of the thick, fluffy fur that lies along the rear thighs - typical of all canides, or the still missing long dorsal guard hairs. Yep ... that's a Fisher! You want to believe it's a Coyote ... go right ahead. But anyone else looking at that, and looking at the triangular shaped head with that short muzzle, and the apparently tiny ears, will know better. Thanks for lightening it up though, and proving the Fisher supporters correct. Appreciate that!

As for me doing research ... that's what I do. That's why I state what I state when I state it. You'll learn. After you've been at this as long as I have ... you'll learn ... maybe! ::)

John.

14. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

I think it's a coysher ::)

15. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

lol!

16. Check this out..

Despite what you two think.. I still think... judging by the lenght of the fur, Small size of the head, body width, and lenght that it is a Tanuki or Finn Raccoon

The Fur here matches very closely the texture and colors of the enhanced photo. That tail Does not go to that Skin. I'd bet. It looks like a replacement.

http://www.theory.com/MARTISE/A0900407,default,pd.html?dwvar_A0900407_color=C07&start=44&cgid=looks-merchandise-items

17. LordRusty

Ohio
    LOL! That's comical! ;D Thanks!

John.

18. I've already said, coyote. Fisher hair doesn't seem to get shaggy like a dog.

19. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

ATTENTION.....John;

I have never ever had the need to get involved in one of your educational lectures that you give others on this forum, however I have now been dragged into this simply by your statements that you have made and I have to protect the Canadian Fisher from your incorrect identification. You see being in Canada I do mount quite a few fishers and that is not a fisher. Hang on let me get this out better for you.

JOHN THAT IS NOT A CANADIAN FISHER!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I have your attention observe the photos of a fisher that I just pulled out of the freezer that I recently tanned.

This first image was taken with some deer and moose racks so that there can not be a claim that the image had the colors distorted, notice the colors of a fisher John.

[​IMG]

The next image is a close up of the rear end of a fisher so that you are able to see the colors clearly.

[​IMG]

And the last image of course is to display the length of this fisher being 43 inches long which is a large male fisher.

[​IMG]

There may be a possibility of them getting to 50 inches and that is not doubtful however the ones that I have mounted are generally in the 40-46 inch range.

Well I guess now you can place me with the rest of the taxidermists that you dislike on this forum and feed me your venomous insults for calling you on this one.

Best regards,
    Sam

20. My daughter asked me to look at the photo to identify the animal without her giving any history of the discussion. Seeing it, I said, “It’s a dog” (canid).

A couple of things I see in the photo: there is a fair sized wrinkle in the felt at the base of the head that could give some distortion to head size, making it appear smaller than it is actually; the nose pad itself appears to be twisted towards the bottom of the photo skewing head shape; the flank guard hairs match that of a coyote or canid; it does appear the upper ear (animals right) can be seen, and is more obvious by increasing the size of the image (it appears shrunken and not completely re-inverted); the rear legs appear tubed, as do the front, and appear to be severed at the true ‘heal,’ the lower end of the fibula. Adding the additional length to the rear leg would make quite a long leg for an animal such as a fisher. And one final consideration, the tail could be a replacement tail . . . from my experiences, it doesn’t match real well with the rest of the coat.

If it is North American, I can’t see it being anything but a coyote. But you know what? . . . no matter what is said here, it is what it is.

Michael