1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Does anyone know what animal this is?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Omnivore, Nov 24, 2010.

1. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I just have to give my opinion again, as I call and shoot coyotes a few times a week, I have trapped and shot many fishers and observed them in the wild, I have tanned and mounted fishers and coyotes for myself and clients and studied wild life all my life, my first thought in the dark photo was a coyote , after looking at the lightened photo this assures me that it is a coyote, definitely not a fisher, this is my opinion from my life long study and living among the fishers and coyotes LOL.

2. Let's all chip in and send some of the hair to the lab that does DNA testing. There's one that is able to tell what the breeds are of cross-bred dogs, so maybe they can identify this as well. May have to send them additional hair samples of fisher, coyote, etc., hair, for comparison.

3. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

or maybe BETTER PICTURES? dna, are you kidding me?

damn this whole thread is a middleschool playground

4. kinetic

kinetic New Member

man taxidermists sure do have the best arguments

5. Omnivore

Omnivore New Member

You're tellin' me! Like a spectator sport.

Anyway, to those who messaged me yes I will take it outside tomorrow and get pictures of it in the sunlight, closeups of the fur and face and tail.
    I am also attempting to get in touch with someone in another online community who had a vintage stole that looked just like this one, except theirs was darker.

Like I said it's not really imperative, just this old curiosity gnawing at me for a long time.

6. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

without actually seeing it in person and handling it, all we can go by is the picture.
    With that evidence alone, im going to have to say Fisher!

7. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Definately YOTE!!!!

8. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

X2

9. Reminds me of those vampire movies....are you "Team Coyote" or "Team Fisher"?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

10. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Who cares? In the end it's still a piece of crap. So I'm right and you're al wrong. :p

11. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

There is actually a lot of evidence being shown for the many sides of this debate. Not everyone is bashing. For the most part, it is interesting to follow, and it will certainly be interesting to see if there is a conclusion. I'm stickin' with my opinion that it is not a fisher.

12. Omnivore did ask, “Anybody got a clue?” hence the “I think . . . I guess . . . I know responses. Most enjoy a little competition no matter what that competition may be, even in the guessing of what a particular fur may be . . . what species a particular bird is . . . inches of a rack . . . weight of a fish . . . or who can run a funny shaped ball across a line made in the grass the most times.

Whatever the fur is that Omnivore has, it is. As Catgear states, “For the most part, it is interesting to follow, and it will certainly be interesting to see if there is a conclusion,” particularly if we are all a mile off.

Michael

13. Omnivore

Omnivore New Member

For the past two days it's either been I'm busy or it's raining; hopefully I'll have sunlight tomorrow for good pics.

Two things:
    1) From the ear talk I took a look at the ears; they've either cracked off or were cut off, but only the bottom halves are now present and they are quite small (less than an inch across.) Also, posters were right, the tail is sewn on so is probably from a different animal (could be a different species, could be a different member from the same species; texture of the tail matches texture of the legskins.)
    2) I found the person who had one just like this one but darker; they said theirs was a fisher, but I haven't gotten a message back from them telling me how they knew it was fisher.

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

Boy, these always get interesting and has to be an arguement everytime. I had to go back and look at the picks over and over like everyone else, and even in the lightened pic, it looks to me there is dye present reguardless of the animal. I do feel it looks more like a yote along the middle of the back towards the tail and along the belly cuts. There is a distinct pattern there and if you handle enough of them, that is what it looks like to me. Reguardless, it's interesting and I would llike to know now what it is!(LOL) Yeah, and the head skin doesn't look to be all there.

15. Bangle

Bangle New Member

I'm marking to see the new pics. I want to see the conclusion. :p

16. Binx390

Binx390 New Member

It just looks like a realllly old coyote pelt, sometimes on vintage pelts(at least the ones I have) the fur is rubbed up in places ect, so may not look silky like new fur. Also I have a coyote pelt that is super soft and softer then any of my foxes so its possible for a coyote to be soft. It could be another animal though the pictures make it really difficult to tell.
    I dont think its a tanuki(finn coon) they are not very soft, I have two right now. They have much coarser hair then any of the foxes I have. I dont know but I have never felt one that is softer then a fox, and I have felt a good amount of tanuki fur.

17. I've got a few fox stoles, and the makers absolutely murder the ears on them. So it's possible that something like this happened on this fur. Either way, I'm so anxious to see what it ends up being!

18. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Its an old coyote skin

19. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Chupacabra

20. juniper

juniper Active Member

The suspense is killing me LOL

More pictures please