1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Does anyone know what animal this is?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Omnivore, Nov 24, 2010.

1. kevin29472

kevin29472 New Member

looks like a fisher to me

2. orion

orion Marty Silva

ROFL

3. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

It's still a Fisher!!!! not a Coyote.

4. taxidermyfun

taxidermyfun New Member

maybe she just has giant hands ;D ::)

5. RDA

RDA Active Member

WA, good try....no cigar.....

6. RDA

RDA Active Member

ive stated it a few times,,,the size of the head vs the ladies hands as well as the "ear thing". I cant even remember green coyote skins shrinking up that small.. In fact by the pictures provided, its closer in size to a marten than a yote. The length of the nose alone in your coyote pics is the size of the entire head ..

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

By the looks of it, who ever did whatever they did to that thing :D had no idea what they were doing. Saying that, the tail probably isn't all there. They most likely ripped the tip off.
    The head is DEFINITELY not a coyote. The ear holes are WAY too small for a yote, and there is no way it shrunk THAT much.
    My guess is the same as it was a week ago. I think it's a fisher. And if it's not, I can't see where it could be a coyote.

8. RDA

RDA Active Member

:D it has been one of the more interseting threads going lol! and i said "closer to a" not "it is a" :D

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

This is one I trapped and mounted. He is NOT the biggest one I've trapped.
    Counting the hair on the tail it's 44 inches.

[​IMG]

BUT, we all know when a skin is tanned, stretched and flat it can be stretched so in all reality, I could EASILY have gotten another 5 inches out of it.
    So if I got a bigger one (lets say mounted 50 inches) I could stretch it out to be 54 or 55 easily.

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

BTW, though we're all trying to make a point, I find it fun. No worries about me taking it wrong ;)

11. Still Say Tanuki... Judging by the proportions of the ears to front legs and Front legs to rump lenghts. And by the texture and lenght of the fur on the Body, leg and armpit. Its definately been dyed.. The short face (even as a stole with the face pinched in and eyes sewn matches the short raccoon/fisher like face of a Tanuki.)
    Here's an example of what can be done to the faces by a garment maker..
    Fox
    [​IMG]
    Pine Martin
    [​IMG]

And the Tanuki

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Why not? The girth on the one I posted is 18".

13. So has a game and fish person taken a look at it in person and guessed what it is yet?

Inquiring minds want to know. ;D

14. Omnivore

Omnivore New Member

About DNA tests or having F&W authorities survey it, sorry, but someone bought and paid for this (yes, they knew I didn't know what it was and had no clue either) so it's getting boxed and shipped tomorrow. Not taking it to anyone or cutting off any hairs. :p

I can, however, give the most detailed measurements I can and my own two cents-
    I am 100% convinced this is not a coyote. To make a coyote look and feel like this the guard hairs would have to be hand-plucked from the legs and tail, it would need to have been very soft to begin with, have tiny ears (the ears have no stitches around them, and I've has coyote pelts with the ears sliced off, the holes are much bigger), and be dyed (which this might be, but if so, very lightly and beyond my detection.) Then again, I can't say that I DO think it's fisher.

Nose tip to tail tip: 53" stretching for inches, 51" loose
    Tail length: 15" (it has been sewn on)
    Nose tip to base of tail: 35 1/2"
    Earline to base of tail: 32"
    Width at neck: 6"
    Width at belly: 9"
    Front leg base to leg base: 7"

;D

15. RDA

RDA Active Member

otay,,,, i did some quick research of this thread - the results are as follows. :D

YOTE: 18 votes

FISCHER: 8 votes

OTHER: 8 votes

18 of you definitely lost.(as per OP)...Another pattern seen here, the BOLDER the fuant, the worse the answer... :D ;D

note: Nevada wildlife studio (or its subsidiarys- TNA, Taxi-net CLIQUE, TEam gassass malingerers) does not accept any responsibility in the findings of this tally, nor are any guarantees implied...

16. Doesn't the majority vote make it what it is? . . . even DNA testing couldn't change that, could it? ;D With that be said, there is no choice for it but to be a coyote, just as the majority says it is. :eek:

Michael

17. It could also be something none of us have even suggested yet, just sayin'.

18. Keep in mind the majority of people thought the world was flat at one time, too.

19. RDA

RDA Active Member

PRIMA-FACIA EVIDENCE......... ;) its a fischer..... :D Unless of course there is some new strain of yote out there that has a chihuahua sized head ! ;D but i havent seen one of those myself, nor have i seen bigfoot.... :D ;D

20. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

I can agree with that.
    Of course if the tail doesn't belong to the body, it may not be just one species anyway, which could make the whole debate null and void.