1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mountain Goat horn casting - total rookie

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Lone Wolf AK, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

??? I have NO experience with casting/repro items, so please go easy on me. I've done the "searches", and gotten some good ideas, but if anyone can "tutor" me on the "how" and "materials" for making a couple of durable casts from mountain goat horns and skull cap, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have several clients who lost horns when their goats tumbled several thousand feet down an Alaskan mountain, and I'd like to make some repros from a good set of billy horns I have on hand. I could take the "easy" way out and order the repros from Research Mannikins, but I'm a glutton for punishment and thought it would be more fun to spend hours frustrating myself. Again, any help is welcome. ;D.

2. I can't believe no one has gave you an answer, but I think I know why. It's a lot of information to pass along.

From my standpoint, a good place to start is http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=285&cPath=1242

I would use the same process, but use Rebound 25 silicone product instead of the dragon skin. Instead of making the cast solid, I would use a rotational molding technique and then use FoamIt 5 to fill the void in the center of the horns. That's a lot of casting material to use to do them solid, but you can also do that.

You need to be ready to invest some $'s in the process. It's not real cheap to do. You may be better sending a good set out to have someone make the molds for you and the first set of repro's.

I can give you application assistance on the Smooth-On products. I am a sales rep for a supplier of Smooth-On. Call me at 8106562350 to discuss your needs and applications.

3. jermh1

jermh1 Member

I posted some pics of a few of my horn molds, back a few years ago I think page 5,6 of the mold of the week Post. I would do a mountain goat solid, as they dont have much mass. and I would pour the mold with dragonskin. Id pull the horns off the cores mold in 3pc with no cuts. just trim the cores to 2in or so. fill in all the pores in the cores. and mold away. do each horn like my duiker horns in the other posting.
    My only change would be to construct a good size base for the horns, and mold it with the horn, like a section of 2in pvc pipe a few inches long, to give you some wiggle room when casting, and you dont wind up with plastic everywhere. [​IMG]

4. RF

RF Member

I had the same problem. I decided to experiment and used silicone to make an inexpensive mold of the horn. I also made a mold of the skull cap of the goat. I made the mold the same way it is explained in the rock tutorial and the duck head tutorial. For the skull cap I ran a strip of clay below the horns to hold the silicone as it cured.Be sure to use a release agent on the horns before you apply the silicone as it may stick to the horns. I did not have a problem with it sticking to the skull. After the silicone cured I cleaned the mold and sprayed the inside with a release agent. I mixture of bondo and resin was poured inside the horn mold. I turned the mold so the bondo and resin coated the inside. I kept turning until the mixture kicked.The finished product will be a hollow repro of your horns. The skull cap mold was also filled with the same mixture. I have pulled two sets of repro horns out of the silicone mold so far. There were a few air bubbles that could be easily filled in. If I get a chance I will take a few pictures so you can see the outcome of my little experiment.

Hope this helps.