1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone ever made a Full Animal Skin Headdress?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Light Rail Coyote, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

I've been working on a few myself, but would love to get some ideas from others. I did a search on here and only found 1 lovely cougar skin headdress done a while ago.

2. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    My nephew did one several years ago with a large doe, had something to do
    with Boy Scouts.

3. The Boy Scouts use them in there Order of the Arrow ceremonies. (It is a selective group within Scouting that Boys and adults can only get into by nomination after they have reach a minimum rank) My oldest was honored with this last summer.

I have not looked but if you Goggle Order of the Arrow or OA for short you may be able to find something.

Michael

4. Mink

Mink New Member

I've made a couple of coyote headdresses before. This pictured is my personal one that I wear to the Renaisance Festival or other events where I sell furs. It has the mounted head and entire hide with feet.

[​IMG]

5. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I have made things like coon skin hats and that sort of thing.

6. Your pet ferret isn't scred of you when you are wearing that???Amazing

7. This is the one I did... Its only a half skin, but that is what the customer wanted.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,221762.0.html

8. Light Rail Coyote

This is the one I saw. Lovely work and I love the idea of only mounting the upper portion of the face. I may have to try something like this when I move out of the dorms. My roommate is freaked out enough by the wolf skins! ;)

9. apwordsmith

apwordsmith New Member

OH GEEZ DORMS XD was in one of those a while ago

Was cleaning tomato sauce out of the microwave and wolf fur was piled in the corners....

How my roommate didn't kill me I'll never know (Going to the Renn faire every year may have given her a bit of tolerance LOL)

10. Light Rail Coyote

On the bright side, my roommate's mom used to work on a Native American reservation, so she used to see this kind of stuff all the time when she was little. Still unnerves her, though; especially the coyote skin Halloween costume I made. But she dressed up as Cathulhu, so has no right to complain. Plus, I provided the mini-fridge. ;)

11. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Can you post pics of the coyote skin costume Light Rail?

12. Light Rail Coyote

The color is natural. First one I made, so it's not great. And since I'm working out of a dorm, I can't mount the face like I hope to do later on. On the bright side, not mounting the face means that I can make it into a mask!

[​IMG]

13. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

LOL I was hoping for a real fur fursuit. I wonder if anyone has done that- real coyote pelts into full fursuit, with head and paws/claws with fur blending and simulation.

I need to get 2 matching full mountable xxl eastern coyotes ( colors need to match, as well as size) so I can make a werecoyote figure in lifesize. It will also have the glowing eyes, but I need to contact Shrecken on here about those glowing pupil eyes she uses with the backlight. It will look "real" overall, nothing hokey at all. Except for the replica gun open carry part maybe LOL. It will be dressable in a variety of ways.

Whenever I get to this project, I do want to take pics of the process. I plan to put the 2 hides together to make 1 somehow, keeping the color patterns like the back "V" intact, so that this thing has size relevant to how Hollywood werewolves are these huge things compared to an actual wolf. The legs,feet, and head I will figure out somehow, and use just 1 tail. A coyote sized werecoyote would be rather wimpy, I want something with a bit of size.

14. apwordsmith

apwordsmith New Member

Light rail- that's my dream to do with a deer pelt some day :D a small deer of course lol

15. Light Rail Coyote

It's not too difficult at all. My later works look a lot better, but they are not yet photographed. If you want help making yours, I'm happy to give you a few tips! ;)

16. apwordsmith

apwordsmith New Member

Thanks so much!! :D

17. Darcum

Darcum New Member

http://zhon.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=72#/d1mjy87
    :) Not my work, but I do love her taxidermy, is this the kind of thing you were thinking of?