1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Raccoon Re-Mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Mink, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Mink

Mink New Member

I recently re-mounted this old coon that I'd had sitting atop my bookshelf for a while. It was one of my first mounts and I really really didn't know what I was doing at the time I mounted it! It had major feet/ears/nose/lips shrinkage because I never took the cartilage out of the nose, never turned the ears or lips, and for some reason I stuffed the feet with shreds of fabric. And somehow I managed to get one eye a little higher up on the head than the other.

So after I came back from the Florida State Taxidermy Convention (where I saw a very informative seminar on coon mounting) I decided to remount my coon. I bought a whole new hide for it, since the old hide was far too shrunken and had a lot of hair slippage as I took it off the mannikin. Anyway, here's the "before and after" pictures of my raccoon! Critiques welcome.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    I know it looks a bit pale around the eyes in this picture, but I've since put another coat of paint around them. (as you can see, my wall's been repainted too! I'm so glad that plaid is gone! ;D )