1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A C&P- I thought this might be intresting to some

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by oldshaver, Mar 12, 2007.

1. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Thanks Cyclone. If what you say is true, Glen will probablly show me the difference, under a microscope. Then I will be convinced. Lets give him 24 hours. Im sure he has alot going on during the day.

2. paul e

paul e New Member

great info guys
    the difference from acid swelling and bloated water capes from not enough salt content has been a confusion for a lot of us

while were talking about this
    ive got another question to through in the mix

can someone tell me what goes on with sweating a hide after tanning
    ive heard some confusion on this subject also
    whats taking place at the fiber lever/crosslinking and such
    i know soaking the hide for a while then putting in a plastic bag to sweat is a universal sweating method preached by Bruce Rittel
    but
    will a wet tan get any benefits AT ALL from such a procedure or is it limited to wet tans

and i have had great success with a 1 hour pH OF 5.5 TO 6 soak with stretch and elasticity
    Glen and Joe Osborn turned me on to this

stick a cape in the freezer after this process for a few weeks
    its scary how elastic the skin becomes

intresting,very intresting

thanks Oldshaver for some brain food

3. can someone tell me what goes on with sweating a hide after tanning
    ive heard some confusion on this subject also
    whats taking place at the fiber lever/crosslinking and such
    i know soaking the hide for a while then putting in a plastic bag to sweat is a universal sweating method preached by Bruce Rittel
    but
    will a wet tan get any benefits AT ALL from such a procedure or is it limited to wet tans

The method described is usually for rehydrating a dry tan. Wet tans should be ready to mount without the sweating unless they have dried out too much in shipping. Then the process is simply to rehydrate and regain the elasticity. Sweating just gives the fluids a chance to penetrate into the collagen matrix.

4. paul e

paul e New Member

thanks David
    so with a wet tan everythings good to go
    unless it dries out to much
    then just a little rehydrating is needed?

5. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Yeah!?! Then what? Warrant issued for my arrest? A late fee imposed? Report to Moderator? Show Down at the Lone Star Corral?

Got any photos of this?

The developement of artificial sweetners was brought about by accident. Researchers were using polysaccharides in attempts to convert stomach hydrochloric acid, same principle as what had been asked about, just a bass ackwards application.

Actually, enzymes are quite affordable these days, and can be picked up at any grocery store. You just probably don't recognize it in the package it comes in. They're sold as Liquid Tide.

I'll be back, with photos. There is a whole lot of apples to oranges comparisons starting to surface here. oldshaver, David, Paul and I all write from our own experiences, that's enough people to start a movement. The first thing that would need to be established is a common language. A lot of the language was already in place before we were even born, it is just getting mangled with interpretations.

6. paul e

paul e New Member

i think your right Glen
    we know some stuff should be called an apple
    but
    weve called it a orange so long we get it all confused
    to make matters worse we sometimes know the other guy knows what he is posting
    but carry on in the wrong reference with the right intentions
    wow now im confused
    but you know what i meant didnt you lol

good word old shaver intresting ,intresting

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

No I don't, and I've never seen any, here or anywhere else.
    Yours is an interesting hypothesis; however.

Convert to what? I am glad that you brought up the subject of the stomach though. Guess what the stomach contains in addition to the HCl? Enzymes. They preform an important enzymatic process called digestion.

Go back and read that again...The TESTS are quite expensive...Hell, being a microbiologist, I thought you'd know how to do an enzyme activity assay. The assays are expensive.

So Tide contains enzymes. Do we know what kind? Do we know what pH the enzymes are most active at? or temperatures? Do we know what substrates those enzymes are intended to attack. Being designed for washing clothes, I'd guess that the enzymes in tide were designed to attack lipids at a wide range of pH's in a wide range of temperatures.

Bates are designed to loosen collagen structures in hides allowing more of the untannables to be washed out. Most bating is done at high pH values in the leather tanning industry. They don't apply well in the taxidermy industry, hence the use of acid bate.

8. so with a wet tan everythings good to go
    unless it dries out to much
    then just a little rehydrating is needed?

Yep. If you are slow on the detailing, you might experience the nose drying out too fast. Then, just use a spray bottle to wet the nose. Saltwater spray.

Good to see Glen back in the fray. I guess it can get confusing. I would like to invite everyone to the Lone Star Corral! No goat roping....only head and heels allowed. Please adhere to dress codes.

Acid Rot
    Acid Swell
    Osmotic Swelling
    Grease Burn

All different situations and all dealt with in different ways. To separate each topic will demand new threads for the archives. We probably could do it if we had enough time to sit and transcribe.