1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

painting repro wallye

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by wishbone, Nov 29, 2010.

1. wishbone

wishbone New Member

been workin on this for awhile.. and i seem to go nowhere......always looks the same.......give me some advice on what to do next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kherd

kherd Member

Get Rick Kranes' video on walleyes! ASAP!

3. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Are you using lacquer paints or water based?

4. wishbone

wishbone New Member

lifetone lacquer

5. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

PM sent. [​IMG]

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

A good start. You probably could've left a little darker "antiquing", but I think you're okay. All you need to do is add your upper bar markings and then tip those scales with (probably, see reference) gold pearl. It doesn't matter if you're using WB or Lacquer based paints. After tipping, you'll just need to finish your fins and add some details, pinks, candy paynes gray here and there, belly and mouth pearls etc. I'm a BIG fan of learning how to paint from photos and forget those paint schedules. You may stumble a little bit more out of the gates, but you'll learn SO much more and you'll be able to paint anything once you learn how to replicate what YOU see...

7. Debbie N

Debbie N New Member

MA.
    Just got done watching rick kranes walleye dvd it is worth the money alone just for the reference section alone. I think it is a must for painting a reproduction fish lot of stuff that you can use for other fish to absolutely.
    stan

8. timstaxidermy

timstaxidermy Member

looking good so far, looks like you need to do all the scale detailing and cheek detailing,
    use rich brown and black mix to desired color add retarder and scale tip between each one
    using a real fish as a reference. the fins also need some black on top fin and dorsal as well,
    use some good reference before starting to paint the colors in,
    structure now is excellent , just add in the details and it will be awsome,
    tim

9. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Agree with above comments.....just need to add the detail work and gloss.