1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thinking Like A Tanner- # TWO

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Submersible tanning again.

Fresh deer cape, that has been salted for a week.

You re-hydrate, pickle, shave, tan, neutralise, and oil. Your final Ph is right, and you warmed your oil. At this point, everything looks great.

You hang the cape to dry for 2 days.

You pull the cape down, to give it a light washing, and mount that booger. When you pull the skin down, something does'nt feel right? It is MUCH stiffer than usual.
    You try to rehydrate the cape, but it wont rehydrate well at all. Its stiff to the point of being brittle, and it wont stretch AT ALL! It will even crack open when you bend the thin areas? ITS TRASHED!

What might this Taxidermist have done to trash this cape?

2. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

You applied tan before neutralizing.

3. He/she didn't send it to a professional tannery.

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

yep X2

5. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

I neutralize after Lutan...Why would you let it hand for 2 days drying after oil when its getting mounted?

6. It's a submersible tan, thats not the right answer guys.

If you neutralize the pickle and then put it in tan, you have defeated the purpose of neutralizing because you dropped the pH again. You will just have a pickled skin.

7. Why not stretch after neutralizing before applying the oil????

8. Rhino

Dee is right. That aint it.

Scott, your supposed to let the oil dry good, and form a good bond, before washing. Overnight will work, but totally dry is best.

Speaking of oiling........

9. Rhino

The cape is Ruined. Has to be thrown away!

10. Rhino

What is the only TRUE way to judge a tans quality. Not a thumbnail either!

11. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

My guess would be that something was done wrong with the pickle???

12. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

By the temp. that the tan releases from the skin?

13. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I have never had to trash a skin, unless water molecules attached to the skin fibers ??? If this happened you would notice this in your pickle and for sure it would not except the tanning agent or the oil, and have no stretch thats the only reason I have ever had to trash a skin other than slippage.

14. I always put it back in the pickle for a day after shaving so that the "new" surface gets prepared for tanning.
    However I don't know what the effect would be if you don't and start tanning rightaway.

15. paul e

paul e New Member

ill guess at it
    no salt in the neutralizing step(acid swell)
    and im a big fan of decreasing but that probably wouldn't have killed the cape

16. If it is brittle and does not re-hidrate it must be something with the initial pH being to hi and the tanning not being able to enter to be fixed. OS said that the final PH is right, not the initial.

17. After shaving is done I always check my PH and bring it back to 2-2,5 .

18. Hartung

Hartung New Member

I’m not a taxidermist but brain-/smoketanner and barktanner. I know that different “real” tans have different resistance to temperatures (shrinkage temperature).

If your oil was too hot when applying it (don’t know how you apply it, mayby brush on?) your skin will definitely be destroyed and will correspond very well to what you described:

it wont rehydrate well at all. Its stiff to the point of being brittle, and it wont stretch AT ALL! It will even crack open when you bend the thin areas

19. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I would say not enough salt/acid damage as well

the only tru way is a curl test

20. if the skin is well tanned is shrinkage temperature must be well above the temperature of the oil ! I suppose the oil is applied at 40 Celsius.