1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thinking Like A Tanner- # TWO

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Yes, may be the best way to know Watt go wrong.

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Hartung got it.

Muscle it never happened to you, cause you were not that stupid! ;D

Old Bevis was heating his oil on a hot plate, and got it too hot. He was in a hurry, and said screw letting it cool, and slapped it on!

Read what hartung wrote. Its called a curl test, using hot water. Hot oil will do the same thing.

It would happen REAL easy, if you heated a paint-on tan too much.

3. The oil must be at at a temperature that we can put our hands in it. that is how I was told to do. ;D

4. paul e

paul e New Member

great info Oldshaver
    keep it up!

5. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I recommend oil is always warmed to 35c for the tan and for application,never had a problem. oldshaver: at what temp. of the oil at the low end that would effect the skin in this way? It would have to be boiling!!!!And your right that would be very stupid.

6. Oldshaver, Give more to us think like a tanner.
    Do you KNOW more about it then we all together.

7. Celsius or Fahrenheit, muscle?

8. ;D Stupid Question! 35 F=1,6 Celsius

9. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

oldfather: 35 celsius we always use the metric scale. ( 35 c) centigrade water freezes at 0c and boils at 100c at normal atmospheric conditions.

10. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

awesome! gonna have to put these in tutorial section

11. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Muscle, it dont have to be boiling, but it does have to be pretty darn hot. It depends on the curl temp of the tannage used. Alum, a little past 135deg F. Something like Lutan, or the Perma-Tan I sell, I would guess a little past 150deg F. The 2 times I have seen it happen, it happened on alum tanned skins.

Where it would be real easy to screw up a skin, is when heating up a paint-on tan. I would guess that past 125deg F, your taking a BIG gamble. The skin has no tan to protect it from heat.

While Im talking to you Muscle20, I researched that matter we were talking about in another post, that had to do with pickling at real low temps.
    Other than the obdvious slowing down of the process from the cold, I now believe you were correct, and I was wrong. The salt will "fall out" of the solution a little, but not enough to really hurt anything. That is just something I was always told, and I went with it, because I never had to tan anything below probablly 45deg F. Have a good one!

12. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Ah, the old denaturation of the collagen protein lattice...

13. Guerra

Guerra New Member

These little lessons are priceless.