1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to make Veg chrome leather?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Chef niloc, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Chef niloc

Chef niloc New Member

Hello my name is Colin,
    I stumbled across this forum trying to find some information on how to make "Veg chrome retanned leather". It seems like you all are the only friendly knowledgeable bunch out there on the Internet?
    A year or so back I got my hands on some of the coolest leather I have ever worked with. It was "Veg chrome retanned horse but straps" I got it from butternut village who sells closeout lots of leather. Obviously thay don't have any more & when I asked them were I could get some they tolled me " it's not commissary available" so I thought I might try and recreate it my self, I'm a do it my self kind of guy anyway.
    So here's what I'm trying to do & any help/ advice would be welcome.
    I'm going to start with bark tanned horse but strap leather.
    I want to drum dye them cordovan color, my guess is to use a cordovan color Aniline dye?
    Then use chromium sulfate to retan the leather.
    I might have these two steps backwards as I know the salts will blue the leather but I also know that chrome tanned leather does not take dye well at all?
    What I want to end up with is a very soft durable oily, rich "shell cordovan like" color horsehide leather.
    Any advice?
    Thank you
    Colin

2. Colin, I think you're going to put a lot of effort into something that isn't going to be any where near what you had hoped in the end. You would be better off searching for more leather already done.

Chrome will take the dye well, but with it in combination with a veg tan I have no idea how it would react, but I think you would need to dye after the chrome, not before. Cordovan is very tough to deal with, good luck with it.