1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Volume 40 Creme and BW????

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by StickinEm, Dec 5, 2010.

1. StickinEm

StickinEm Member

I've used the Volume 40 liquid with BW in the past with great results. I tried to get some the other day and they were out, so I got the creme. I was thinking of mixing in some BW with the creme and brushing it on. Has anyone else done this and how did it work? Not sure how the viscosity is going to be adding the BW to it.

2. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    mix them together, thats what your supposed to do
    type your question in the search area and read for days ;D

3. QBD

QBD Active Member

Creme is already the right consistency to brush on. Why do you think you need to mix it with Basic White? BW does not whiten....it is just a carrier for the peroxide. ???

4. StickinEm

StickinEm Member

Thanks for the input QBD. Exactly what I was looking for. I was curious as to the thickness of the creme and wondering if it needed to be thickened up any for brushing on.
    About the BW. It doesn't whiten? I thought it did have some whitening properties. If it doesn't, why don't people just use cheap talcum powder???? Just curious.

5. chickenhawk

chickenhawk SKULL TECH TROPHY MOUNTS

I've always used 40% creme and BW. I'm pretty sure you have to use the BW for it to work right but I'm no chemist. :-\

6. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    right on

do a little research and you will see why u mix them together

7. DTSkulls

DTSkulls Member

has worked well for me in the past

8. outdoorsalways

outdoorsalways New Member

I have always used BW and the creme.Now i am curious if just the creme will do. Time to experiment!!
    The BW cost the most and if I can save a penny I will.

9. young taxidermist

young taxidermist New Member

I just finished my first wt skull with no basic white and it whitened great. Ill pose a pic if yall need. Where are yall getting this basic white? taxidermy supply or beauty store?

10. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    I purchase BW at beauty salon when I buy the volume 40

11. young taxidermist

thanks man. Ill buy both next time and see what whitens better.

12. why don't you guys try liquid peroxide and soak the whole skull in it, its does a much better whitening job than the paste

13. young taxidermist

Thats what I did, do you mix your liquid with the basic white?

14. let me rephrase that, I use 27% peroxide from a pool supply store called Baquacil oxidizer. I don't add the powder to it, I just soak the skull in it. the liquid soak gets to all parts of the skull and in my opinion you get a better skull this way.