1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Retanning a McKenzie Tan cape....

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by oldboar, Dec 5, 2010.

1. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Hi all,

I recently purchased a cape that was tanned with McKenzie tan. I've never used it, and am not familiar with it other than I've heard some lacked stretch when using it...and some experienced slippage.

I am a fan of Lutan F, and would be interested in retanning if possible.

I like to back brush my capes (long hair) during the drying process, and find that an immersion tan (Lutan) seems to give me a better hair set.
    Are there any particular steps I should take prior to throwing this cape into a pickle, and then tanning with Lutan.

Will I lose size/stretch?

This is a large canadian cape, and I'd prefer to have it stay at 7 3/4 X 24 X 26

Thanks much!

Jim

2. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Hey Old Boar, I was "a nothing but Lutan guy" myself and still like the results it gives, but if the cape has been shaved good put it in the freezer overnight and it should have plenty of stretch. McKenzie Tan is good stuff as long as the rest of the processes are done right.

3. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

True...unfortunately the individual switched to Lutan after experiencing some slip on the shoulders of his McKenzie tanned capes.

I would imagine it could be due to longer hair there...not sure...he said he the problem mostly on Mule Deer for some reason.

Any add'l steps before it goes into a pickle, then retanned?...sorry but i paid enough for this cape....I don't want to chance losing any hair while giving it a fluffed winter appearance.

Jim

4. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Their has NEVER been a tan made, that can cause hair loss, that I know of.

You can take a pickled skin, neutralise it, and throw it on a shelf, and it wont lose hair.(for years)

One of the most popular products out there today, is proof of that!

I think you will lose stretch by re-tanning, but that just me.

If you insist on re-tanning it, you dont need to pickle first. Just put it in tan, and follow pH recomendations.(anionic paint-on, followed by a cationic submercible)

I am pretty positive there is NOTHING wrong with that MCtan though. They wouldnt have marketed something that was going to cause hair loss.

5. I bet they use a five gallon bucket to pickle capes in. Crowding seems to be the problem with slippage on the shoulders.