1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Squirrels are Taking Over.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Wayne R, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

We are fortunate to have a good black squirrel population. When I built my home some 30 plus years ago, we would see one on occasion, now it is pretty much evenly split between the grey phase, and the black phase. The photos show them out numbering the grey squirrels in the backyard this morning. Stanley Park, from the next town over had brought them in many years ago, and now you see them several towns over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Seems like that happened in most inner cities years ago! ;D :D

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Around here, central Minn., they seem to come and go. They will build up a good population and then fade away for a few years and then make a comeback. Not too many people hunt squirrels around here, so I don't think it's that. I've seen more this year than I have in a while, too.

4. Here in Michigan I have not seen one black squirrel in the 10 years at our place. (And i Hunt the land I live on) You go 20 miles down the road and they are every place I don't get it. We do have plenty of Fox Squirrels.

Michael

5. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

I'm in Michigan too. We got 'em all over the place in the cities but I rarely see them in the woods.

6. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    Dang! You should start shooting some of those! I know someone who would take them off your hands ;D

But, seriously, If you do shoot some, I would be interested in buying as many as 7 or 8.

7. Wayne R

The thought has crossed my mind once or twice, but it would probably be more of a hassle than it is worth. Once hunting season is here I'm focused on other things other than squirrels. It does seem that there are more of them closer to homes, than out in the woods. You still see them in the woods, but it is a little more balanced between the grey and black phases. When I get caught up on some other projects, I just may have to collect a few for myself to work on.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Those are great pics Wyane. It's funny, I was sitting in my stand back in November and noticed something black working its way towards me, moving like a squirrel does. It was a black squirrel and I got him on video. First one I have ever seen in the woods here. I have seen them in MI, but never around here.

9. FPBSM

FPBSM New Member

How many do you want ?

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Better think about putting up some little basketball hoops,, or there will be gansta troubles from boredom.

11. Wayne R

Paul, sounds like Perry may be rubbing off on you a little.

There are 3 weeks left on the season for squirrels and 3 weeks of our whitetail muzzle loader season. I'll be concentrating on the whitetails, but if the opportunity presents itself, I'll see if I can bag a couple of squirrels for Daniel.

Matt some 30 years ago the black squirrels were few and far in between out this way, but as you can see they have done well.

12. Great pictures Wayne. We have them here also but not in the numbers you have. About three years ago my neighbor had a black chipmunk on her property, only saw him for a bit. Most likely became a hair turd somewhere in the woods :-\

13. Wayne R

Black chipmunk, sounds pretty cool. Jared, did it have any markings on it, or was it all black?

14. EA

EA Well-Known Member

A Black Chipmunk would be really cool..

Nice pics Wayne.

We used to get a lot of Black Squirrels at my buddies camp..We lost touch ,so I no longer go there..I have yet to see one at my camp. Our camps are an hour apart though..They're neat looking critters.

15. dipper

dipper New Member

I've read that hunting greatly impacts black squirrel populations. Apparently, the color of a black squirrel, is better camouflage against natural predators, than a gray. For some reason black isn't a good camouflage, against human predators. The article I read claimed, black squirrels will out number, grays, if the blacks are not hunted. Growing up, I never saw a black squirrel. Now, I see them all the time, and no one hunts them anymore.

16. Wayne, that black chippy had two darker stripes going down its back. He was as black as the squirrels you have pictures of. Pretty animals for sure.

17. Wayne R

Dipper, sounds like they are saying the gene for the black phase is more dominant than the gray.

Jared, that had to be pretty neat to see, kind of like the spots on a black Jaguar.

18. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

Black is usually dominate, while gray is more of a dilute. Two black squirrels could produce grays if they each came from a gray parent (in theory at least).

You need to send some of those beauties down to ye ol' Missouri :D I'll set up a black squirrel population like you would not believe.

I've seen a blonde squirrel around here (beautiful bugger) and one with a blonde tail. Crossing my fingers the color takes hold and explodes all over the gray population.

19. I have only seen one black in Kentucky but my local city has a high nuber of white gray squirels but cant seem to find any resident in town willing to let me set a trap where they are seen. I mean they are very plentiful you can drive through some parts of town and see 25 to 30 whites pretty wild.

20. peedeedeer

peedeedeer Bridges Custom Woodwork [email protected]

see one here ocasionally. i bet they make just as good squirrel dumplings as the greys.lol