1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

PA Taxidermy licesens

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by s_sfdaniels, Dec 6, 2010.

1. s_sfdaniels

s_sfdaniels New Member

I'm have been looking everywhere and cant find anything on this! I'm starting a business doing European mounts for people for some money. Do i need a taxidermy licesens to do this legally in Pennsylvania

2. TonyGriff83

TonyGriff83 New Member

NEPA
    NO. I am PA as well. As long as you dont mount it you dont need a liscense. If you put it on a plaque then you need 1.

3. I would contact the Pennsylvania DNR to verify any needed licenses, its the only way to be sure

4. benstaxidermy

benstaxidermy New Member

if you check on PA dept of agriculture's website it should tell you but on the other hand they only cost $100 in PA

5. You can clean skulls without a taxidermy permit, as long as you are not putting them on plaques.

6. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

You don't need a Taxidermy License unless you are putting them on something, but you Do need a Tax License and what ever is required by your township etc...

Don't assume you can get away from the tax man.

7. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

Reading the PA. game code under taxidermy you MUST have a taxidermist lic. if you take in anywildlife or parts of for any one but yourself.
    The law has been in effect since around 1986 as I remember it.
    You can get a coupy of the PA.game commission'sgame code laws from your local state rep. office for free.

8. Steven .B

Steven .B New Member

Talked to my local officer yes you do need a taxidermy lic... Goes back to the section takeing in any wild life part.. Laws are controdicting here in PA one says its ok but another say no way...
    Selling deer capes green is also not allowed in PA call it commercializing , but if you tan them then sell them it becaomes a product then its it ok to sell...

9. s_sfdaniels

s_sfdaniels New Member

how do i get a licesnes

10. I'M ALSO FROM PA AND YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR LICENSE FROM THE DEPT. OF AGRICULTURE. THE PA GAME COMMISSION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LICENSE. IT WAS HANDED OVER TO THE DOA A FEW YEARS AGO. AS FAR AS I KNOW, THE LAWS WILL BE STATED BY THE DOA. I DO AGREE THAT "ALL" THE LAWS IN PA ARE CONTRADICTORY. IF THEY WANT TO GET YOU FOR SOMETHING THEY WILL JUST REWORD IT. POINT BLANK, THE PGA WILL DO ANYTHING FOR A FEW BUCKS. ASK THEM WHY THEY THINK THE # ON HUNTING LICENSES ARE DOWN THIS YEAR FROM 1,200,000, TO 750,000. EVERYONE IS TIRED OF THE WAY THE DEER MANAGEMENT IS RUN. RATHER NO MANAGEMENT. WITH THIS ALL SAID, YOU ONLY NEED A LICENSE IF YOU ARE "MOUNTING" A SPECIMEN.

11. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

I was in court back in 1990 over this issue.
    Believe me, if you take in any wild game or parts of, governed by the PA. Game Commission
    for the purpose of any taxidermy services ( mounting and or preserving ) you MUST
    be a licensed taxidermist.
    A tax number is only require by the PA. I.R.S., and local government if and as required
    for collecting tax revenue for services rendered.
    By the way, yes taxidermist are now licensed by the Dept. of Agraculture,
    but the laws governing taxidermy are inforced by the PA. Game Commission
    as set forth by the PA. State Legistrarure.
    So do as you will.

12. Steven .B

Steven .B New Member

Freeze 1 is right!!! Its the game commission law on takeing in part and prservation... Agraculture is where you need to go to get the permit and now contols the taxidermy business...
    The game commision doesn't have anything to to with the taxidermy business any more but they can step in if you are breaking the law.. Back to the issue at hand the law does state you must have a Taxidermy license to take in any wildlife part. I'd call harrisburg and get it first hand from them and explain to them and see what they have to say..

Its only $100.00 to save you alot of hassel!!!

Just the way I'm understanding it and what i was told... Good luck with your decision...

13. It's a catch 22! Previously you needed to do a gamehead, (mount) fish, bird, and lifesied animal, just to pass your test to get your license. No need to do a european mount to pass your test. So does this constitute a license. Mother nature does the same thing, just takes longer. As I previously said, the PGA will get you if they want. No matter how legal you may be. Your best bet is to present it with this info and whatever the answer is, get a signature and badge#. Otherwise you will never get the same answer. I do agree with Steven B though. Spend the $100 and avoid all the hassle.