1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

glycerin and formaldehyde

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dbohunts, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Looking for a place to purchase these for injecting bird feet. Im located in Central NC. Any help is appreciated.

2. RDA

RDA Active Member

Dont use that stuff- not needed, masters blend or any of the other hardening plastics are good.

3. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

I do use it and it works great, and it also preserves the feet.

4. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

works great, very cheap, and i never have any problems with it.

5. I have been using the masters blend. I am by no stretch of the imagination experienced, but I just have a hard time with that stuff. It sets up way to fast for me. Also, anytime I get a little on the outside of the feet I have a hard time cleaning the feet and lose detail.

the injection fluids are horrible. I have seen others work who use the 50/50 mixture and it looks pretty good. Again I am a novice so I am still experimenting and finding my "own routine" so to speak.

Wanted to give it a try, anyone know of a supplier?

6. RDA

RDA Active Member

just an fyi..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

7. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

take a small container, pour in some formalyne and some glycerine...the the trick.....SHAKE WELL! only then you will be able to inject it. The glycerine is otherwise to thick.

8. Skip Miller

Skip Miller New Member

A lot of folks use this cocktail for injecting feet with great results.

It's like any other product you use...once you learn the technique on how to use it...your off and running.

In my opinion it has one major drawback to consider. This combination never dries leaving the foot very flexible for the rest of the mounts life. This could be a big issue when it comes to competition.

There are some judges that know and understand the results of this cocktail and then there are some that don't. The very worse that could happen is that you get fatal flawed for competing with a wet bird and at minimum it could cost you a lot of points.

I don't want to start a huge debate....this is just some information to consider.

I feel it's better to get use to the many hardening resins offered out there. You can get the same results as any other product once you learn the technique on how to use it.

as RDA so noted.....Formaldehyde is some Ethal Methal Bad Stuff.....we already have enough of this to deal with in our industry.

Good luck!

9. hambone

hambone Active Member

Formaldehyde can be difficult to obtain sometime, would Balex which is easily obtainable be a good substitute?

10. RDA

RDA Active Member

didnt really want to mention this,,, ::) ::) :D but,,i used to use that stuff years ago, and sometimes, while inflating, a tiny leak will happen between scales, resulting in a tiny straight stream, normally to the EYES LOL!

11. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

well, seems clear

just don't use it, but buy something great from america!

12. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

I don't think masters blend will be fun to get in the eye either ;D

13. RDA

RDA Active Member

very true Peter... :D and Taxos, we would be buying glycerine and fromaldehyde in great America too.... ;) :D

14. Raspy

Raspy New Member

What about using preserve-it in lieu of the formaldehyde with the glycerin?

15. Skip Miller

Skip Miller New Member

None of it tastes very good in the mouth either.......BLAAAAA!!!!

16. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

it does taste nice with some eyeball fluid!

17. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

To answer the original question, check with Carolina Biological Supply. They are in Greensboro, I believe. We used to buy formaldehyde from them when I was teaching biology. Personally, I purchase mine from one of the suppliers at the Surry Mini Course. I believe Dixieland Supply is the company that I get it from, but it could be King Taxi Sup or James Taxi Sup.

I have never been able to get a nice foot with preservz-it. I use Masters Blend almost exclusively. I keep it in the freezer and like to work with it still very cold. I inject part of the foot and drop it in a jar of acetone or laquer thinner, clean my syringe with said solvent, then work on the other foot. By this time, I can take the first foot out and inject some more. I let both feet rest for 10-15 min in the solvent after I have finished my injection. The solvent keeps the MB from leaking out the needle holes and keeps it from destroying your scale detail. When I am doing large feet (geese, swan, turkey) I will pin the holes as soon as I remove the needle and wash the foot down with acetone or LT.

I do use formaldehyde/glycerin from time to time. With it, I inject the foot, slightly over plumping it. Then, I put the feet in the freezer for a minimum of 1 week. This makes a nice foot also, but I cannot stand the formaldehyde fumes....so that is why I use it only occasionally. As far as judges go, I can't imagine that any judge would not know that a flexible foot is OK. You can tell if it is dry or not. A friend of mine competes with cast feet that are made from some sort of rubbery compound, so they remain flexible and they have the feel of a real foot.

18. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with James.
    I can't imagine that there are any judges who don't know the difference between a green foot and one that has been injected with G&F. They feel completely different.
    I have had no problem getting formaldehyde at my local chemical supplier and I have even seen in on Ebay a few times.
    I use Master's Blend too, especially on larger birds.

Preserv-it doesn't help very much at all with shrinkage control. I bought it once a long time ago, tried it, and ended up throwing it away.

19. James-- thank you very much for the info. I attended the surry course last year. Seems like you can get anything you need in the vendor section. I already got the MB, I'll keep working with that and hopefully it will get better with experience and yalls tips.

Also-Did you have a bird in the competition at Surry?

20. Scottio

Scottio New Member

I